Swivel Discussion. Now with Brand New Super Easy Pictorial!! Wee

Yeah, here is some Slippery Eel in action:

(go to 2:10)

I think the names are okay. They are tricks that are very similar in Slippery Eel, so I don’t see it as problem. Change them if you want, though. :wink:

I haven’t been able to find trick names for Slippery Eel tricks, besides the trick called “The Slippery Eel”. The Slippery Eel trick is just a Leg Wrap Trap where you let go of the string as it comes around, and then catch it. I know that Steve Brown and Will Kerzic have made up their own tricks in the Slippery Eel style. I wish Steve Brown would drop some of his wisdom on us so we can decide on proper trick names, but until he, or somebody, does, I would just name the tricks whatever you want. Anyway, the tricks in Slippery Eel are very similar, but not really the same because of the swivel, imo. I know tricks similar to these have been done in Slippery Eel, though. Here is another video example. This is Will Kerzic. He called the style “Free Floating”:

Dude, Kerzic is the reason I start yoyo’ing! That’s awesome. I could never gonna rip his name hehe… I got major respect for him. I’ll pay homage to the slippery eel stuff and go with hidden eel. If that’s cool with everyone, and we can let this thread be designated to anyone who has questions for setting up swivelzzzzz

Okay. That’s fine, with me! :slight_smile: Yeah, CizreK is crazy. His astrojax stuff is awesome, not to mention his other skill toy skills.

thats my nameeeee woooo

I saw that the mods jumped in so I knew there was some heated discussion I missed. Anyways, I’m not quite good enough to start playing around with different styles, but the neutral string tension idea looks very promising, at this point, for me.

I know in the academic world, there’s nothing wrong with using someone else’s stuff as long as you cite your sources. I don’t think any harm has been done because pulling the string through swivel eye seems unique. I’m not trying to start a debate, just food for thought I guess.

Edit: I’m jumping in pretty late, so I’ll stop talking about it now.

Nonono, you can keep talking haha, don’t take it the wrong way…
Just giving you a summary :stuck_out_tongue:

I suggest you try it

It took me a while to get the string length just right. I’m using a Turtle knot at the moment. And after about half hour of play, I haven’t had to adjust my tension. Very nice! Some people may call it laziness, but I call it efficiency. 8)

Too tired to do any more testing. Will post if I run into any problems. I hope you and Homba and whoever else comes up with a ton of new tricks for it. :wink:

Also, I was thinking about throwing a thin layer of rubber cement on the center ball of the swivel to prevent any metal-on-metal contact. Not sure yet.

Ah yeah, if you have a larger swivel keep an eye on it… Should be alright though.

My bro started learning yoyo today… I put a swivel on the string and he was able to practice over/under mounts at a quicker pace without having to deal with the tension. Still kinda worries me that he will become dependent on it. Oh well, just glad he’s finally throwing, kid is a genius… it’s about time.

You guessed it right. They were out of size 12 so I had to get size 10. Now that I know, I’ll check out a different store for that size.

This is so neat to see. I never would have guessed on soemthing like this. It’s like Stacked 4A for me. I need to pull out my Aqua now with Synergy caps…Darn you, Sky…XD.

Updating first post with EASY pictorial.

This is a stupid question but I’d rather ask than not know.

Are swivels allowed when competing? I got introduced to this concept at a yoyo meet and I instantly fell in love with swivels. I’m thinking of buying some more to compete in BAC.

I doubt there is a rule against it but if you place high there might be some controversy and rules to follow.
Also SkyHighYo will size 10 work? That’s all I have haven’t tried them yet though

I wouldn’t use anything but size 12.

If anyone wants to send me 5 bucks ill send them a pack of them

you know you can send them in envelopes? Just put em in a plastic bag, and send them via your mail box. Unless your sending out huge bundles, I don’t see why you would spend $5 to send 1-12 swivels that you could just shove in an envelope, add a stamp and ship.

Haha I’m good I’ll just got to fin and feather and get 5 packs for that much :wink:

I know how much they cost… $1.26 for 12.

However, me going, buying them, and all that, not something I particularly care to do… I’m just offering for people who don’t wanna go looking, that’s all.

Sam Lopez, the inventor the of the Swivel, has had a neat tutorial for this up. Figured I’d post it for you guys.

He ties the string to the swivel. We put the string through the swivel and tie a knot in the string so the string slides freely through the swivel but catches at the knot. This allows for regular 1A, the option to switch to Slippery Eel type tricks by pulling the string through the swivel, and letting the string slide back to the swivel to be in regular 1A again.