Swivel Discussion. Now with Brand New Super Easy Pictorial!! Wee

I use tension quite often - mainly to hold a piece of slack in place, similar to a magic knot, but without an actual knot. Sometimes older strings work better too for the same reason, the extra dirt in the string can help the string grip to itself.

I have just moved and only have web access on my phone - so citing sources or posting examples will be tricky.

Of course, there’s fixed axle too where you need to be able to control tension…but I think that’s a different game to what we’re talking about here.

Yeah, fixed axle is a whole other ball of wax. :wink: I don’t know about holding a slack in place. I’ve seen your skills, so I believe you, I just can’t visualize it. Any slack tricks I know thrive on neutral tension!

Definitely do not need tension for magic knots. The texture of the string will have more effect on this, but for the most part a trick that’s meant to result in a magic knot can still do so regardless. I would go a step further and say that tension is a NEGATIVE factor for magic knots; I know there are times I’m not controlling my tension, I get into a magic knot and the “loop” of the knot gets all twisted, making it difficult or impossible to properly pull through.

Another thing… You can wrap the string around your throw finger and it’ll pretty much deactivate the swivel for that throw. Idk if that’s enough time to alter the tension (1 throw) as opposed to it typically building up over many throws. Just an idea

Would also like to see more specific examples. Name a trick that contains swivel defying elements please. The more style influencing the trick is; the better

Wait but Vegabomb, shouldn’t the thread stay swivel AND civil?

O_o

@frodoslair
I’m still trying to understand what you are talking about. If you are doing a slack, isn’t less tension better? Or, do you mean you use elements like these to hold the string against itself without a knot:

Something like this:

or the bind here @ 0:25, showing how a loop/slack can be made by string twisting and holding against itself(sorry I don’t have a better example, but I think you guys know what I mean):

or something like this(@ 2:10):

So, is something like this what you are talking about? Anyway, if it’s either of these, they can be done with neutral tension.

I think it’s important to note, that while we’re discussing tension… I brought up the fact you can resume tension inducing play if you do a simple extra wrap around your throw finger, pretty simple stuff.

Which is something you can keep wrapped around your finger and bind and/or keep doing what you need to get your tension tight or loose or whatever, do the certain trick and easily drop the extra wrap. And voila tension back to neutral.

If anyone could give an example of a trick that can not be done because of this set-up, due to tension or whatever the reason, that would be great.

I’m really interested in flaws in play with this set-up, because I haven’t found any. So far, I’ve found that play with this set-up only gives the advantage of automatic tension correction, which is a pretty nice advantage. Plus, you have the ability to switch to a different style of play by simply pulling the string through the swivel, and then you just release the string to return to regular 1A.

1 Like

it’s great ain’t it?

oh ya… still on the same string. it’s getting a little fuzzy but it’s still good to go

It really is. :wink:

Me too. Fuzzy, but good. Knots and swivel are still holding up just fine.

E
Err! I’m worth my salt (are U?) and I buy into the “brainstorm love fest” It’s fun,entertaining and opens up/lends it’s self to a whole new world wrt Zammy esque type tricks.I for one welcome our new “Swivel Overlords”!. I wonder what Josh has to say!
[/quote]
Don’t beckon the Furry One. Lololol
[/quote]
Gotta admit if you can cut thru Josh’s “Don Quixote” ramblings, his input is valuable. Woof,woof! Also, I wish Zammy would give some input on this discussion.
[/quote]
“Zammy-esque” type tricks, aha. Much love.

I have not said anything in this thread because I honestly do not have much to contribute. I’ve heard of the swivel mod for about at least a year and a a half. First person I seen it done by was Sam Lopez, who refused to tell me how to set it up.

I assume that the swivel can really help out those that partake in a lot of slack based tricks but of course I could be wrong. None the less, its great seeing people taking this concept for the better.

Goodluck! Sorry if again I have nothing much to say.

Sometimes the most obscure ideas are also the most genius. Just keep doing whatever you’re doing.

Zaammyy!!  So glad you’re here

It’s not the swivel that we’re talking about when we refer to you.  It’s pulling the string through the swivel while playing!!

Imagine you got the slipknot on your finger attached to the swivel.  On the other end of the swivel a piece of string is threaded through the eye of the swivel, it’s not tied directly to the swivel.  It has a knot in it to “secure” it to the string.  You can pull the knot mid play and the swivel/slipknot becomes an anchor point and it allows some interesting stuff…

Here’s the video again to give you some kind of an idea…  Ignore the first half.

(mute if under 18)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9nylMDrpk0I

delete

Interesting. I did the exact same thing when I first started yoyoing last year, but discarded the idea worrying that it might scratch my yoyo.

Word yeah, it’s been done many a time… :wink:

Sam Lopez of Gen Yo has done something like this in the past as well:

Looks cool!

Daniel, that one might be a bit on the large side. And although in general they don’t seem to scratch your yoyos, using one is of course going to be at your own risk. Nobody here is saying “it’s impossible to scratch your yoyos with it!” so you should only use mods and techniques you’re comfortable with.

Shew, just got done reading this thread. I’m off to Walmart to give this a go. To facilitate the learning process for some people, I think it would be nice to get the best ideas (like which knots are good for this, brands and size of swivels to use, short tutorials) compiled into one post/thread. Just a thought. For me, I’ll bounce around from page to page to figure it out, cause I’m really interested.

Yerret;

I was going to get around to editing the first page. But people don’t really seem to realize that originally this thread was supposed to be about the weird style of pulling the string through the swivel. Then people got caught up with the swivel, so I explained how it worked. Then we got multiple pages in, so I simply changed it to “Swivel Discussion” and deleted the OG post. I was going (still plan on it) making a NEW thread dedicated NOT to swivels, but weird tricking enabled by swivels. Truly, you don’t need a swivel to do this, but it kills two birds with one stone.

Then people wanted to give me history lessons about how it’s already been done. Even though I clearly said, multiple times, that I knew this. I also even went as far as to explain that “Yes, I indeed got the idea of using a swivel from the last time it was brought up”. Not going to beat a dead horse.

So therefore, this page will stay on swivels, which I’m abandoning… because IMO it’s off topic from my original goal… however I switched it to Swivel Discussion, so people can keep piling in the “It’s an old idea” thing.

One last “On-Topic” thing I’m going to mention in this thread; [b]I’m still using the same string as when I started. A solid week of using the same yoyo/string for at minimum 4 hours a day. At this rate I have enough string to last me 6+ years.

Yes, swivels have been used with yoyo string before, but the way that SkyHighYo pulls the string through the swivel, and ties a knot in the string that is not attached to the swivel, so the string will slide through the swivel and back and catch at the swivel, is what’s new. It may have been done this way before, but we are not sure. We haven’t found any evidence of it yet. So, it is new to us. The swivel auto-corrects the tension in the string for use in 1A play, but when you pull the string through the swivel you have a whole new way of using the string. You have a “dead string” that you can use for different style tricks. A lot of these tricks are very similar to what can be done with the style Slippery Eel, but it is different because of the string attached to the swivel and it’s ability to allow the string to slide through, and that you just let go of the dead string and you are instantly in regular 1A with the slipknot around your finger. It truly is different than Slippery Eel and regular 1A, it’s like a new mixture of the two. Here is a video example of the style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UgDxv7dghw4

I didn’t know there was an actual “Slippery Eel” style. That was one of my fav names for it lol. I guess I should change the names of some of the tricks?? eh?

edit: oh, 5a without a cw lol… Nice…