Swivel Discussion. Now with Brand New Super Easy Pictorial!! Wee

Lol Greg, I just said that…

I still don’t know how I feel about this thread being up in my name. People are going to use other, bulky, larger, swivels, and damage their yoyo’s or bust knots and ruin their throws… and I’m not trying to feel bad about it.

Also, please folks, I do not claim anything about inventing this lol, I appreciate the background on swivels with yoyo’s, I’m just saying, I haven’t seen anyone pull the string through the swivel simultaneously like I did… Yes, It’s probably been done… I was pretty much joking when I called it ‘Sky High A’… I mean come on now… lulz

The cool part about having a small knot and pulling it through the swivel, is you can drop the knot and it’ll fall back to 1a looking… like magic… but if your knot is too big, it will snag in formations. So having a big floppy loop/slipknot/knot/cw that I gotta be careful with kinda ruins the appeal to me… but it is interesting

look bud, I would just edit the first post giving some basic info on your setup, and a warning that you are not responsible for any damage to other’s stuff. This is a good thread with some very good discussion I would hate to see it dead. If people use big swivels, don’t know how to tie a square knot(lol), or whatever, you can’t be held responsible, you didn’t set up their yoyo. You should put the vid back up too, its pretty awesome.

2 Likes

I was agreeing and expanding upon what you said… :wink:

Bottom line: it’s awesome how enthusiastic you and other users are about this idea… I think anyone would be a fool to blame you if anything ever went wrong!

I want my strings to last as long as possible for the consumer

Contests don’t have any rules about the kind of string or yoyo you use, do they? I don’t think any competition could not allow you to do that, could they? If you used this, they would probably make a rule afterwards, but that’s after.

Honestly, I do not think anyone would even notice or care about it unless you were to win the contest dramatically in an upset because of some ridiculous string tension defying trick.

Some yo-yoers plan string tension adjustments into their freestyles, which I assume they get points for. Calling swivel string “god mode” for whips and slacks is as logical as expecting to hit all those whips and slacks at an outdoor contest on a windy day.

I had an idea but wanted your guy’s opinion. Do I also been using the swivel for a while and I made a batch of strings that were awesome but were to slick so I used a length of another string to make the slip not and its awesome ill post some pics later but I was wondering if anybody would be interested in ready made swivel slip knots that are totally yours but you could use the string of your choice. Like a purple slip not with swivel but you can then put on green kitty string per say.

Are you trying to sell or give away? A few people might take one, but at about 10 cents a piece I don’t think anyone would pay

not even if it were totally customizable you could choose what colors, fuzzy or not , thickness etc. so in other words something that is one of a kind and made just for you. And they wouldn’t be expensive either maybe like $0.75 - $1.25

This goes to questions about contests…

I know 2a players use swivels on their strings in competition. I dont remember where iI read this, I doubt if it is even on YYE, but I definitely remember someone saying something like… “you can use a fishing swivel near the slip knot to prevent tension from adjusting during play. Many 2a players do this, especially for competitions”. As far as I can remember it was from a reliable source… may of even been Jayyo… not sure.

As for 1a… I am not sure if anyone actually has used a swivel in comp before, but I would be VERY surprised if they haven’t. Even so… I dont think it gives a massive advantage over other players. You rarely see pro players adjust their string tension in the middle of a freestyle. 3mins of play isn’t really long enough to do crazy things to your string tension.

1 Like

I have never seen a swivel used in a competition freestyle for any style.

I wonder if the cw would interfere with the auto-correction of the swivel? I’m liking just using the knot. I doubled-up the knot to make it bigger, so it is easier to grab. I press the swivel against my finger/hand and the knot automatically sticks out, ready to grab. I can grab the knot fast and easy now. It’s great!

I have been working on new tricks utilizing this type of play. Here is a link to my recent post with trick tutorials.

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,59602.msg623113.html#new

1 Like

As I said earlier here are some pics this isn’t what all of them will look like , they will be customized just for you and I believe I can get different colored swivels too. I can also get rid of the top not that attaches to the swivel to give it a sleeker look.

(sorry about the picture quality i was using my diy Styrofoam light box)

I tried this out today with a Caferacer and a Loop900. Worked great! Especially convenient with the looper, though I imagine it would be quite difficult to get both strings to be the same length for 2A (it’s hard enough as it is). If you listen very carefully during loops, you can actually hear the swivel turning at a certain point in the rotation.

Regarding the meta-subtopic: I think you should restore the original post, and stop trying to get the thread deleted. You may have started it, but after seven pages, you can hardly claim ownership anymore. And if you’re worried about people damaging their yoyos, it’s probably not a terribly good idea to delete the thread containing the most helpful information. There are over a thousand views at this point, so there’s no putting the toothpaste back in the tube. You’re not legally or morally liable for anything, and really, what’s the worst that could happen here? This isn’t the atom bomb we’re talking about! :wink:

Just my 2 cents.

On the contrary, it might be easier for me to make two strings of the same length. Considering all I do is tie a knot in the string. I don’t tie it directly to the swivel like Squak does. P.S. Squak, might wanna make sure the patent isn’t active still.

I suppose it might not be so bad if you can use the same slipknots between string changes. For me, the spot where the slipknot rubs against the string is almost always the first part to go bad.

Keep an eye on your string like you would normally.

I said Theoretically… Which basically implies that… Yes, you need to replace the slipknot.
If I was sure you didn’t need to replace it, I would have said “You don’t need to replace it”. I

Yes, yes, yes…I should have just said “Less often”. I was just trying to explain the benefits and I went into hyperbole… sort of… But then again, I’ve already dug myself a hole… Sigh…

I wish this thread would die, I would love for everyone to use swivels… but it’s just not worth the time and effort when sooner or later some kid is gonna mess up their yoyo and I’m going to be held accountable for suggesting that you ‘Theoretically don’t have to replace the slipknot’ or that ‘A square knot is enough to secure it’. Come on people ::slight_smile:

I just thought it would be cool to have a little personalized accent to your string but meh.

I think it would be cool too… I’m just looking out for you Brother…

Geez, take it easy, man. You’ve dug no hole, and no one can reasonably hold you accountable for anything. If this thread causes you stress, just stop clicking on it. Simple as that.

The idea itself is a good one. You don’t have to defend it or address any little issue or minor detail that pops up. Ideas exist on their own merits. Cut the umbilical and stop worrying about it.

I mean, think about how many yoyos have been scratched, dinged or downright annihilated from playing 5A (not to mention chipped teeth, black eyes, broken windows etc)? Has ANYONE blamed Steve Brown for any of that? Ever?