Swivel Discussion. Now with Brand New Super Easy Pictorial!! Wee

Sigh… If i really have to… I will live stream all night with the same string and answer all your questions, prove this works great. No I’m not going to put it on my 5*v1 , cuz it’s half raw, or my hex cuz it has grooves, but i will grind it into any of my other yoyos.

… As for your swivel not clearing… Well sorry I’m just not having that problem and I’m willing to prove it from 12 am to 5 am

Maybe my swivels have more friction. :wink: I did pick what were supposedly the top dogs… Can’t remember the name, but it starts with “S”; but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect.

Try one like mine, they are very cheap and at Walmart. They are very small… They are smaller than my index finger nail.

Don’t bother with a bearing, only gives it more possibility to lock up and completely unnecessary

Also sorry for being rude. I just hate when people lobby against things they don’t need to bother themselves with… Like if you don’t want one, like it, have negative opinions, think it’s too expensive then feel free to find another thread.

So last night I bought a packet of those cheap swivels from Walmart, put together a string and put it on my Code 2.

It’s almost too good.

Seriously, the whips and suicides I can pull off with this thing are head and shoulders above what I could do otherwise. That said, I don’t think I’m going to swivel all my strings - I’m still intermediate at best, and I don’t want to rely on the swivel to the point that I develop some bad fundamentals. Still, it made me kind of giddy to land ten jade whips in a row with nary a bunched string.

1 Like

I’m not experiencing any string tension issues. It’s great! I’m using the same brand and size 12 as SkyHigh. I’m throwing perfect suicides every time, whenever, without worrying about my string tension. I can still do tension adjusting tricks for fun if I want to. Ano is tough stuff, and these swivels are small, rounded, and smooth. I’m not worried about damage. Even if it does scratch the yoyo, or whatever, I wouldn’t mind. I doubt it can do any damage that would affect play. It doesn’t hit every time, either. They can be reused, and you only need one string that you would have been using anyway. Cost isn’t an issue with me.

1 Like

Ano is extremely hard

I’m kinda surprised and pretty pleased that this is getting more recognition considering it’s been done a few times before this.

Of course it’s been done a few times, i saw a video of it and decided to try it. I’m not claiming to have invented it or trying to patent it lol. I was referring to my setup of the swivel… I don’t secure the string to the swivel…so you can pull it through the swivel and do some neat tricks. Even if that’s been done before… Who cares? Lol… and i doubt it will last. I’ll probably be the only one of few who stick with it from this wave

So I’ve been playing around with this a lot since yesterday. My swivels are too big and I launched my Protostar into orbit twice because the knots (once on the yoyo side and once on the slipknot side) worked their way through the swivel eyes. As a workaround, I unwound the end of the string, put one strand through the eye and used a loop knot and an overhand knot to secure it. I need to get to the tackle shop and get some smaller swivels, but I may keep tying them this way because it feels very secure.

I guess i should make it clear i can’t guarantee results if you don’t use the same swivels I’m using. Sorry about your mishap, i suggest pulling the string and making sure it’s attached properly. I simply put a knot in the string, or double up the knot on a size 12 swivel and that’s enough to…

Sigh, I’m done here. I should just focus on myself and only give tips when asked.

Before i get blamed for someone busting their new clyw, a mod should just close this thread and let it die till someone else wants to come around trying to convince people again.

I don’t think anyone’s saying anything negative about the method. :wink:

I actually hadn’t seen until just now that you don’t secure the string to the swivel… I’m sure you said it as clear as day, but I missed it!

Now I know what I’m going to do when I get home…

It’s not a matter of people saying negative things, if that bothered me i wouldnt even deal with internet forums. It’s i don’t wanna feel bad or be blamed cuz some one ruins their yoyo.

It would be their fault anyway, that is like blaming the person who made the recipe for french fires for making people fat. They dont have to eat them, people don’t have to use a swivel. I have mine on my 5 star, essence, KLR, majesty, and supernova. I am not worried about any of them getting damaged at all. The only thing bad that can come from this is possibly if you don’t burn them and the knots are small. Although, the melted nylon did give me a few minor burns yesterday :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and to set them up I grabbed a ruler, scissors, a lighter, and 10 strings. Then just start doing them one by one, and after 10-15 minutes you will have 10 set up. Once you gdo this like 4 nights (Depending on your collection size) you will have 40 of them, and once set up, all you need is the bottom half when it is worn out. Great stuff here, glad I tried it!

Let’s just say it is “use at your own risk”. You can’t guarantee a knot you didn’t tie, and there is the possibility of the swivel breaking.

My swivel and knots still feel safe and secure, and are holding up fine, so far. I’m really enjoying the play I’m getting out of this.

More people need to see this idea. I had no idea it existed until SkyHighYo brought it up. I’m glad he did. I can’t wait to use it.

Dude! SKyhi u owe me liek 50$ or a nize clyw cuz i was doin this n then my velocity like cam opn and cracked up, nd i think its cause of deez dum swivels! ANy clyw would work tho

Seriously though, I doubt anything will go wrong from this if you tie a good knot. Also now I am worried too many people will do this and it will not be allowed at contests!

Just for the record, in case anyone was interested, the “finger ring with swivel” string concept was first introduced in 1930. Although this version used a metal ring instead of a slipknot. In that regard, I think that the modern implementation is much safer for high end metals.

Have you tried using a counterweight instead of the knot to secure the bottom half of the string to the swivel. It obviously wouldn’t work for more normal 1A tricks but there might be some cool (and weird) things you could do with that setup.

I do what you’re thinking but no cw… Just a large knot. That’s what i did in the video that i removed

You could also just tie a knot/loop you could slip your finger in and pull… But it ruins that 1a look

That’s pretty neat, though… if you weren’t worried about people going “WTF?” you could have a second slipknot , and slip it on your non throw hand… it would simultaneously limit what you’re capable of doing and open up new possibilities… it would be so weird…! I’m tempted to try it now. :wink: