Swivel Discussion. Now with Brand New Super Easy Pictorial!! Wee

Trust skyhigh. I didn’t buy it either, but he tested it three times, only for the string to rip every time. I know have 32 and when I have time I will put them on all my general yos. I have one on my 5 star, and it is definitely worth it. I was also worried about the metal causing small scratches, but it never really hits the yoyo, and if it does it is 1/20 times when you catch it, and shouldn’t leave a mark.

1 Like

I’m stoked to try this. I think I’ll pick up some swivels on my way home from work.

Let me know how much ya like it!

the way you bopped your head during the UFO. all “yeah, Imma boss”.
just too funny :wink:

5A will be so much easier… and no need for a takeshi die!

also… as far as im aware, I think people have been doing this for a long time… especially with 2a.

1 Like

Skyhigh is great.

Honestly though, that music was just too trill my man.

I actually hate Rick Ross hahaha

but thanks Noah, you’re great yourself! :smiley:

I’ve been using this set up all day, and I’ve come to a conclusion…

This is the future of yoyo string.

I’ve heard of people using swivels before, but I never really gave it much thought. When I saw your video, I knew I had to try it. No tension issues, ever. Crazy new trick possibilities, like these slippery eel looking suicides and slacks or weird mounts I was doing today. This is awesome, revolutionary.

Thanks, Sky High.

…swivelin’… 8)

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t stick to it when I made a swivel setup before… but now y’all have got me fired up to give it another go. :wink:

I love you guys!!!

First topic I’ve seen in a while without any drama, and I thought for sure this would bring the heat!!

N’yeah!!!

Skyhigh, I’m giving you credit for opening my eyes to this wonderful innovation.

I’m headed on a business trip tomorrow, so in the midst of packing, I decided to sort through a bundle of string just so I can throw around a little. What do I spot but a string with the swivel already attached. It blew my mind because I have absolutely NO idea who I had got it from (because I would THANK you if you ever decide to come forward) and I just tried some slack and whip tricks…It’s incomparable. Suicides have never been easier, and the whip sound itself is magical. I for the meantime put it on my beater chief but I’ll let you know how bad the damage will be from the swivel (if any).

Anyway, thanks again man. You opened my eyes to this magical device! I’m already loving it!

1 Like

No problem man. I got about 10 hours on my Majesty with the swivel. I can take pics, no damage as far as I can see. Just try to get the swivel as close to your finger as possible. Mine is about 1.25 cm away from my finger

Glad you guys are enjoying it :slight_smile:

edit: K, as a test, I kind of… just… with moderate force… “ground” the Swivel into the wall of my majesty with my thumb. No scratches. I think we’re good to go

I have no doubt that an exposed metal swivel WILL eventually cause some damage to a yoyo. But it will be light and will not affect play. So yeah… I’m pretty much fine with that. :wink: I would hesitate to use one if you’re obsessive about keeping your throws in perfect condition, though.

I wouldn’t be too worried about it… I literally pushed the swivel into the side of my (anodized) majesty in hopes to scratch it…

Color is just a cool part of ano, it’s actually protective coating :wink:

Here is the thread from the last time in case some are interested: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,51729.msg518177.html#msg518177

Just my two cents.

In my experience, the slipknot end of the string tends to snap long before the bearing loop does. Perhaps this is the string I’m using, or something about how I throw, but the fact is that the slipknot puts a lot of stress on the string, as it is literally the spot where all the tension on a throw is directed towards. The loop of the slipknot is actively choking the untied portion of the string on the other side of the finger. I find that this is where it most often snaps.

Just as “theoretically,” the swivel will cause minor damage to the yo-yo, as others above thread have noted.

I honestly don’t see what’s the big deal about being string tension free…

This concept was patented a long time ago and it has never caught on. (that link might not be the right patent but I know it does exist)…

This is also not the first time it’s been demonstrated in recent memory.

It’s good to see someone experimenting with something (because nobody mods yo-yos anymore), and I applaud your effort, but I’m not about to shell out ~$3 per string so I can never adjust my string tension again, because it really doesn’t bother me. UFO was the first actual trick I learned, and aside from looking cool, I was captivated by the fact that the trick in itself is like a utility for other tricks. String tension relief has become an entire subcategory of tricks, and I’m not about to give them up. Unless someone starts mass producing these, I personally doubt that swivel strings will ever become a norm.

I take back everything I just said.

I think it’s worth trying on one or two throws for a long-term trial… still play other non-swivel strings as well, and guage whether you feel like you’re missing out when using non-swivel.

There’s no downside to trying it out! The trick I’d get the most out of would be a fingerspin with a vertical “tension-adjusting” rejection-thingy… it really tightens up the string too much to be useful otherwise, but with the swivel it would be flashy as heck! As for other tension-adjusting tricks, you could still do those for the look of them… they just wouldn’t adjust tension!

The one thing I noticed when I gave it a try is that it wasn’t foolproof. There needs to be a certain amount of tension before it will relieve. Even with the swivel, I have to manually clear it when there’s only 1 or 2 twists. When there’s more, it ends up sorting itself out, but there’s a “gray zone” in which you can still have a few twists.

I think that’s the main reason I didn’t stick to it… found myself clearing a few more twists than seemed useful.

Just the fact you said $3 per string confuses me. You clearly already have a stigma against them… It would cost you less than 15 cents per throw you put it on.

I’ll makE a video later of me grinding the swivel into an anodized yoyo if you guys want proof…

If you let your string get that bunchy that you have to manually clear it… You’re probably doing something wrong.

Yes i woke up on the wrong side of the bed today

Hahah! We all have those days… :wink:

It’s the opposite, though. I had to manually clear it when the string was NOT very bunchy. When it’s only a few twists. Any more than that and the swivel does what it’s meant to do: clears the twists. But with only a very light amount of torque, the swivel doesn’t kick in.