Superman - magic drop string rejection

I’ve been trying to learn superman for 10-ish days now and I’m still stuck on the magic drop part of the trick. I can do a normal magic drop pretty consistently but I just can’t get the string to reject when I’m doing it from a wrist mount.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes, look at the yotricks video on YouTube if you haven’t already. It covers quite a few more details and it’s what helped me. Not just with the rejection specifically, but the whole trick

I’ve been trying to learn from that video this whole time. It’s very detailed, but yeah, I just can’t get the string rejection down.

Is it the actual rejection part, or getting it to land on the target string that you’re struggling with?

The rejection. I mean, maybe both, actually. Because I don’t really even try to land on the string anymore because I can’t get the rejection down. I feel like I can get the landing with practice, but at this point I’m convinced I’m doing something wrong to keep the rejection from working.

Are you comfortable with the standard magic drop trick?

I land it at about 80% reliability. For the standard magic drop my bigger issue is landing only on the back string, no problems with the rejection.

Yeah it’s a tricky one. There’s a lot more going on with your throw hand than in magic drop, and I don’t even know if there’s one thing specifically that is the key. I try to remove all my fingers on my throw hand as soon as possible, with the exception of my thumb and index finger. Basically as soon as I come out of the double-on. It just gives me more time to set up my hands for both the rejection and the landing.
Then for the rejection, once I get my hands set up for the rejection, I really try to focus on moving both my hands simultaneously (up/down, side/side). This goes for the initial swing, as well as any adjustments I have to make. You need to be precise to hit the target on the rejection and I find that helps me keep everything in sync

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try to keep this in mind when I practice tomorrow.

Coming back around to this trick after a long time of not attempting it. Everything I remembered about it seems to be useless. No idea how I ever pulled it off in the past. Idk if there is a subconscious block since we’ve been talking about it, but now I too can’t hit the rejection to save my life

I actually just started to get the rejection just a couple days ago. Once I really focused on using my thumb to make the “rejection string” as perpendicular with the yoyo as possible it began to work for me.

Now I have to get the last part where it comes back up through the triangle in reverse…

1 Like