Why is Magic Drop still not happening?

This is what happens to me when I try to magic drop. The string rejects to the position on my wrist but i just can’t seem to get the yo to land solely on the back string when I roll. Any advice? I’m starting to become slightly embarrassed of my continued lack of knowledge over a relatively simple trick

1 Like

best i can offer is you have to turn your non throw hand index finger down ( point it down toward the ground) a little to open up space between the front and back strings as the yoyo is dropping…

2 Likes

Thanks. It would be nice if I could figure out how to upload videos on here so i could actually show my failure in full video so I could get better pointers.

I freakin love magic drop and this was the first trick that had me up at night wondering what i was doing wrong and why it wasnt working. If youre getting the rejection to happen, you’ve gotten past the hardest part so be stoked about that. You can grip the bottom of the string like in this pic to add a ton of separation and scoot nth forward a bit and you’ll always hit the back string. As you get more comfortable with the trick, you can move away from gripping the strings so much but it definitely helps to try it like this at first. Also there is cool stuff you can do from landing on the front string or both like in your pic so don’t view it as like a failure but I get that you wanna be able to control where you land.

2 Likes

Also just download the Imgur app and upload it there and post the link on its own line with no spaces after and the vid will embed good

1 Like

Dropknot is great for explaining these type of tricks he helped me a lot.
Magic drop is a must learn and perfect. It is so important to be able to do a magic drop type rejection in other positions and to do advance trick progression.
Learning OG Superman really helped me. with help from dropknot. I was able to get the magic drop rejection down consistent enough by doing it in Superman. It helped with magic drop consistency. I can do in most tricks that it is in.

2 Likes

You’re too kind! I just shared a couple things I noticed when learning the moves myself like you still had to put in the work.

For classic magic drop and shockwave, just spread out the loop so that it’s a front and back string and they aren’t right over each other. You can do this how ever is comfortable for you like you can use thumb to make separation also and then just move nth forward so you hit the string you want.

You can also try to land closer to NTH because there should be more space on that side vs the TH side.

1 Like

I started throwing towards nth and that helped immensely. Along with a tutorial that got shared with me of Brandon Vu your advice also helped immensely. Granted I’m still not hitting it with 100% accuracy but ofc now it’s just a matter of practice. I might keep the weird bizarro version of the trick in my head just so i can fidget with it and see if I can do something with it because the rejection still happens with the way I was originally (and erroneously) doing it

1 Like

I just started trying my hand at string hopping and what you said about moving your NTH makes sense and I think it’ll help me. I’ve been trying to direct the yo-yo toward the other string and that’s going to, and has been, pushing the yo-yo off plane. So it makes sense to move the string with your NTH while the yo-yo is airborne. Thanks for that, I think that’ll help a lot and is really good info.

1 Like