Super Wides?

I’ve seen a few wide/super wide yo-yo’s on EBay. Aside from looking cool, how do they play?

I’ve also noticed on EBay, a lot of “rare” and “limited edition” yo-yo’s. Being a “collector” of things I fancy… (Yes I said fancy) I can very easily see myself having a very dangerous yoyo collection in the near future. Are there many “limited releases” for yoyo’s? Initially I’m just buying what I think I’d like and what I think would play well, but I’m pretty certain I’ll be buying something just for the heck of it… I’ve passed up a few on EBay already…

Really wide yo-yos give you some extra stability and a nice wide catch zone, but in my opinion they can be awkward in play. They’re not my favorites, but some players (John Chow comes to mind) really like them.

And do some research or ask the people here on the forums before buying any yo-yos labeled “Rare” or “Collectible” on Ebay. There’s plenty of people that just want to rip you off.

Yep. There’s a BC maple yoyo called the Classic that happens to be model # 001. I’ve seen it listed on ebay as serial # 001 for a hefty price.

Here it is, rare classic wooden yoyo, serial number 001…

I do like the feel of a superwide yoyo, even though the only one I have is the yyf superwide.
I’ve try the Monster, and I really like it, help with speed play a lot (for me anyway)

I have played an Atlas, and it is fairly slow and floaty. VERY stable, obviously, but to me it was just a little too much

I too have thrown an Atlas and it is really only good for 5A, which is what Jake Elliot, the player who’s signature it is, does best.

Until very recently; Evan Nagaos’ yoyo of choice was the Monster.

Obviously there are technical limitations with Wiiiide yoyos.

But the adaptive nature of players at Evans’ level; proves that perceived limits on functionality can be ‘bent’.

2 Likes

The only super wide I have played is the MFD Lesula. It is definitely different, but I really like it a lot. It will never be my go to yoyo (whatever that actually means) but when I am struggling with a new trick, it helps. Also, sometimes when you’re in a funky mood, you need a funky yoyo.

Vive la difference!