Summit vs. BvM2: A Comparitive Review

Lately I’ve seen lots of people asking for opinions, reviews etc. on the Summit and BvM2. I’ve also seen a lot of the same stuff, but for the Arctic Circle and Chief. Unfortunately, I do not own, nor have I ever tried, either of those yoyos. But here’s a comparative review of the Summit and Bear vs. Man Round 2. I will be covering lots of aspects of each yoyo, including weight, shape and stability. Here we go!

Let’s start with specs for each yoyo.
Bear vs. Man Round 2:
Diameter: 56.50mm/2.22 inches
Width: 44.12mm/1.73 inches
Gap width: 4.50mm/.17inches
Weight: 66.2 grams
Bearing size: Size C (.250x500x.187) Center Trac Bearing
Response: CLYW Snow Tires (white)

Summit:
Diameter: 55.5mm/2.19 inches
Width: 46.0mm/1.81 inches
Weight: 66.75 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250x500x.187) OneDrop 10 Ball Bearing
Response: CLYW Snow Tires (Aqua)

Next we’ll compare the bearings.
Now, I know a bearing is certainly no way to judge a yoyo. If you don’t like it, replace it. Simple enough, right? I just thought I’d compare them anyway, to give you a fuller idea of the two and their contrasts.

The BvM2 comes with a Size C Center Trac bearing. I’m pretty sure that’s what most CLYW yoyos (except the Summit) come with. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this bearing for me, it’s just quite noisy and almost sounds like my WHiP when it’s spinning (doesn’t the WHiP use a Center Trac, too?) aside from that, the bearing will spin for a good long time, and because of the noise, I always know when to bind and bring the yoyo back before it dies out.

The Summit comes with a OneDrop 10 Ball bearing. I’m not usually a huge fan of flat bearings, I am more partial to grooved bearings because I like not having to worry about the string moving too far off to one side and make the yoyo spin out mid combo. But this bearing really surprised me. It’s a flat bearing, so the string still moves around, but I really enjoy the feel that comes with that bearing. It’s dead silent, leading to smoother throws and a more balanced feel. They only flaw I can think of (that isn’t really a flaw) is that the silence of the bearing makes it so I can’t really tell when to pull it up. So I usually bind when the yoyo starts tilting.

Now let’s do shapes!

The BvM2 has a very unique shape that feels good in the hand once you get used to it. It feels like a powerhouse even in your hand, but the rims don’t allow for very comfortable finger grips, and there isn’t really a place to rest your middle finger in the gap. I love the look of the cup, because I’ve always loved CLYW hubs. I just think it generally looks really cool, just a random side note.

The Summit is a cross between the CLYW Avalanche and the OneDrop Cascade. The Shape of the Summit is perfect and extremely comfortable. The Avalanche rims make a very easy place to grip the throw, and the gap is a very comfortable finger rest. It’s a wider shaped yoyo, do the gap is wider and easier to land the string in. The cup of the Summit looks like the Cascade. It has thin inner rims and is Side Effect enabled. But I’ll talk more about SE’s later.

Now I’m going to talk about the different weights.

The BvM2 weighs 66.2 grams. It’s a good, on the heavier heavier side weight that allows for stable throws and long spin times with the proper throw. The weight distribution of the BvM2 is a major contributor in the stability and spin times. It is lighter than the Summit.

The Summit comes stock with Ultralight Side Effects. These are the lightest SE’s they make, weighing in at 2.5 grams. Even at it’s lightest, the Summit is heavier than the BvM2. However, it is floatier and not as stable. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still and excellent yoyo, but the flat bearing and floatiness adds up to a yoyo that tilts rater easily. This does not at all mean that you can’t compete with the Summit. If you’re comfortable with it, you can compete with it. Simple as that.

I think I’ve covered stability enough, how about smoothness next?

The BvM2 is probably the longest spinning yoyo I own, but it’s not the smoothest. I can’t tell if it’s the bearing or not, but on certain throws it’s mad vibey. I think it’s probably just that some of my throws are worse than others, but in the end, the BvM2 has so many other great qualities that I haven’t really thought about smoothness. I’m sure in the hands of a pro the BvM2 is perfectly smooth.

The Summit is incredibly smooth. I give a lot of the credit to the bearing. I’ve heard so many excellent things about OD 10 Balls that I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of the main contributing factors as to why the Summit is so darn smooth. It’s silent and smooth. All around perfect in my opinion.

Response:
The only reason I’m covering response is because the two yoyos come with different pads.

BvM2 comes stock with White Snow Tires. I’ve heard many people say the Aqua ST’s are better (or play better), but since the BvM2 is my first CLYW, and it comes stock with White ST’s I couldn’t tell the difference between the two yet (since I hadn’t tried the Aqua). So I didn’t (and still don’t) really see a problem with the White ST’s. However, I do see what people are saying. The White ones snag much easier and break in slowly.

The Summit has Aqua ones stock out of the box. They feel smoother, they’re less snaggy, and they’re pretty much broken in straight out of the box. I would recommened stocking up on the Aqua ST’s, simply because they play more comfortably, more calmly and all around better play IMO. Not putting down the White ones, though. They’re good, too.

Last comparison, all around play.

The Summit is far more chilled out and… Comfortable…? It feels more like a relaxed throw sesh yoyo to me. It’s floatier and lighter, so it gives off the feel of a chill throw. I guess what I’m trying to say is you don’t really feel pressured to do anything super amazing with it, but it always makes me feel like a better yoyoer. The Summit also seems to be very good at horizontal, in my experiences.

The BvM2 on the other hand, feels far more energetic and hyper. It feels powerful. Definitely a great choice for competition, or just if you’re looking to put on a performance, busk etc. it’s a good choice for those because of it’s powerful, stable spin times. You’ll be able to wow a crowd because you won’t have to pull the yoyo up as much or as often.

Final thoughts:
If you’re a more relaxed player with a more chilled style, the Summit is a good choice. If you plan on competing, performing etc. or you just have a faster play style, the BvM2 is a good choice for you. However, the Summit can be pushed fast and the BvM2 can slow down and mellow out. :wink: whichever you choose I think you’ll be very happy with it.

Anyway, I hope this helped some of you to make a decision, or just check out the differences between the two yoyos. That’s all for now guys!

-Lordchootapa

2 Likes

I love how you made the review comparitive. It’s a cool way of doing a review. Also, you forgot the weight of the summit under specs. :slight_smile:

thanks! And fixed :slight_smile:

Thank you. Great job man !

Very well written review. Most of the reviews in this section aren’t even reviews at all. This should be a guideline to the trash that’s usually found in the subforum.

Very informative.

Thanks, guys! :slight_smile: glad you like it.

In case anybody who hasn’t seen it wants to…

I did try a BVM2 AT YYE. But the Summit Won it was just so right .Not to many are worthy of the hype. But the Summit hit all the right spots … I liked the BVM2 also but I couldn’t afford both lol

exactly! I’ve only heard a few people who don’t like the Summit. I think it lived up to the hype completely. And there was a fair bit of hype, what with the documentary and two amazing companies collaborating. :wink:
Glad you got to try both! It took me a little while to love my BvM2, but once I did I couldn’t let it out of my sight. But I agree, the Summit just wins :).

I love them both. I would pick the summit because it feels lighter and faster to me, despite weighing half a gram more. The bvm2 has issues going fast for me.

yeah, I know what you mean about the BvM2. And I definitely know what you’re talking about when you say the Summit feels faster, but it’s heavier… Haha they’re both really good yoyos, though.