Subscribe to PewDiePie!

But…again…that IS the topic you created.

On the broader category of Youtube as a platform for fame. I share the same feeling as Jake. I’m glad that he has a place where he can connect to his fanbase in a very direct, personal and entartaining way. He’s a great example of a person that puts together a Youtube channel that is entertaining, interesting and also his discussions are, frankly, way more intelligent than the pewdster’s.

1 Like

It isn’t argument. It’s a discussion. We disagree, and that’s ok. In fact it’s quite healthy. Don’t make it anything other than a conversation about different perspectives. A good discussion on a controversial topic getting popular…sounds great.

1 Like

That’s true but there like five big outlets that constantly look at his videos and pretend to be completely dumb so they can take the sarcastic things he says and act like that are real and call him out for them. For example he made a video called “Sponsored by Volvo” where he drove around a car in Pub-G running over people for the win. Some news outlet decided to call up Volvo and ask them if he was sponsored by them. Of course the answer was no but he had to make a response video to it witch is kind of dumb.

1 Like

I didn’t say I didn’t like him.

I am just not the disciple type.

Even a friendly cult is not my cup a tea.

If you get through sad times by focusing in pewd; that is a good thing.

We all face challenges that may require diversions to rechannel energy and regenerate focus and positivity.

Personally; I don’t care for that type of diversion. It’s no better or worse than any other kind of internet brain sucking mechanism.

Be happy

3 Likes

No…it isn’t dumb. There’s a good reason why Volvo, a well known company with a long established reputation for quality, who are particularly known for their family focused products…would want to distance themselves from a person who does the things he does and says the things he says. Just because you like him, doesn’t mean he’s likeable across the board.

Just consider this from the perspective of a Volvo CEO. Does Pewdiepie claiming to be sponsored by your company, and driving around in a violent video game, present the kind of image you want for your well established brand name? Not likely. Therefore they made the request to publicly distance themselves from him. It’s pretty simple.

I’m assuming you’re young enough to not own a business (yet!). But should you someday, you’ll care about what people think of your brand. And Pewdiepie’s not understanding the repercussions of using his fame in that manner is a prime example of why I think he is a pretty thoughtless person (and this is just one of many examples).

1 Like

It’s really quite telling that whenever he gets bad press, certain people seem to blame the press instead of pewdiepie’s actions. Always downplaying and denying what happened.

1 Like

Do you play sports… or do you watch sports? Same thing :wink:

4 Likes

Clever comparison that bridges generational differences. I love it.

2 Likes

I certainly play yoyo and watch yoyo contests and listen to yoyo podcasts.

5 Likes

I think that as long as the intent is as a joke, then it should be received as a joke and not a jab at a culture, or even taken as the real way that the person thinks.

2 Likes

We have no real friends, so we watch people play games so it feels like someone is talking with/to us.

3 Likes

We are your friends

1 Like

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of pewdiepie. I don’t really watch him. I agree someone producing the content he does ideally should not be the king of youtube. Personally, I think someone like Casey Neistat should be at the top, especially when he was doing his daily vlogs. Extremely hard working, great quality videos, mature, great person, and still a great entertainer.

However, I still respect pewdiepie. I do think people are taking what he says out of context and are just judging off what they read or briefly see without really watching him. Or they’re just taking things a little too seriously :man_shrugging: I’m not saying he’s perfect though. I’d definitely understand if people want to criticize him for being a little too immature, childish, or not that professional.

But ignoring all of that drama and whether you like him as a person/entertainer or not, he came onto the YouTube scene before almost all of the current big youtubers and made a name for himself doing something nobody was really doing at the time. That’s honestly why he’s at the top. Pioneering a new form of entertainment and getting that head start.

As for the race for the top spot, the support for pewdiepie REALLY ISN’T because people think he’s an amazing youtuber or the true essence of what the king of the platform should be. It’s because he is one individual that has gotten himself to the top. He’s not a huge team or company like T Series. Many people, including some of the other huge youtubers, really believe that an independent content creator should be at the top of Youtube’s platform. Whether you like it or not, pewdiepie’s path to rising to the top really displays what youtube’s platform is all about. An outlet for a no name individual to get themselves known. If someone like Casey Neistat, Smosh, or nigahiga was the one closing in one him, this overwhelming support to keep pewdiepie on top definitely wouldn’t be there.

2 Likes

To be fair, there are a lot of awesome YouTube creators across all sorts of categories.

I follow a couple of homesteading families who document their daily ventures, and several yoyo peeps. And also some fringe [C-word that rhymes with Tristan] channels that are super fun and thought provoking. And a few carpenter/ woodworking channels.

Being a YT creator is hard work, any kiddo who thinks being one is a cake walk is in for a rude awakening. Consistent quality content is not easy to produce.

4 Likes

Watching someone play video games on youtube/twitch or whatever is not even close to the same as watching sports. If anything it’s the same as sitting next to someone and watching them play a game, which sounds pretty boring i’m not getting a turn to play next.

4 Likes

I heard a news report the other day that parents have started to pay professional coaches to teach their kids how to play fortnite. They’ve been spending upwards of like $30,000 on coaches, what a time to be alive huh?

It’s absolutely insane, but there are professional gamers who live stream themselves playing video games and make a revenue of quarter of a million dollars a week. Yes, you read that correctly, a week.

Whether it is morally or virtuously correct, this has become a serious line of work. I’m not saying I agree or disagree with it, I’m just saying this is the reality of the situation.

5 Likes

Switching over to the twitch chat. I love watching gaming. To me it’s entertaining and helps me learn starts to be better when I game.

I’m pretty competitive so that could be part of it. But when there 250k on the line I love watching those fortnite matches.

5 Likes

I play a couple of competitive games. League of Legends, Overwatch etc…these are games that have a pretty high skill cap, and it’s fun for me to watch players that are way better than me pull off the things they do. Learn strategy and so on. I also play soccer, and it’s great fun for me to watch the World Cup for the same exact reasons. It’s more fun when you have a deeper understanding of the game. So I get it. I totally get why it’s fun to watch others play games. I just don’t think that the label “e-sports” does it any justice. I think it’s a bit silly to try and relate something which is inherently physical, with a strategic element like a sporting contest. And something which is pretty much not physical at all (I won’t entertain discussions about marathon gaming sessions being taxing on the body! I just won’t!!).

If they stopped calling them e-sports and moved on to something like pro-gaming it would seem more genuine to me. And I certainly don’t see any moral issues with making money doing it. If you can pull that off then more power to you! I just wonder about how they eventually cover things like health care and what do they do after their run is over. It’s such a miniscule portion of the population though…

I also understand the inherent value in watching someone else play a game. I’ve done that when I don’t know if I want to buy a game. Hop on youtube, watch someone play, get some commentary on the pros and cons, and I can make a better decision on how to spend my money. It isn’t any more or less reasonable than watching a woodworking video of someone reviewing a bench lathe to decice if you want to drop the cash on that tool yourself. I do, however, tend to focus on review-like videos. I don’t go to watch them because I feel like the content creator is somehow my friend…The comments about “feeling like the person is your friend” is a bit concerning to me.

I take issue with people like Pewdiepie. He may be talented in terms of his ability to entertain, but his methods are mostly rooted in shock value and provocativeness. And his ability to put together a “show” is unquestionable. But he’s not a very nice or thoughtful person. I feel the same way about famous actors and acresses that are jerks. I don’t watch their stuff because I don’t think they deserve my time, attention and money.

4 Likes

I get this, as these are competitive, multiplayer games, and has that exciting aspect of watching the best in the world (LCS, LPL, etc). However, would you want to watch someone play an RPG? Just seems kinda… well… boring lol. I’d rather play through the story myself.

2 Likes