Styles.

For the sake of people asking about Moebius, I’ve created a project for those to learn and expand about the substyle. If you wish to learn more please go to this playlist on youtube.

This is a perfect video for those to learn what Moebius is.

Your welcome! :slight_smile:

Not much love for Hydra, aka A squared. I really should get round to making a video sometime.

P.S. Thanks Zammy, I appreciate your awesomeness, I really need to spend some time learning Moebius, you are truly inspirational.

1 Like

Just a quick note, or at least quick for me:

For me, when I chose to get into this, I didn’t know much. Lots of information quickly overloaded me. Shapes, styles, technology, it was a lot.

What I wanted to do were string tricks, so 1A was clearly what I am after. Now that I know more, well, I know more. Granted, I will say that in my opinion, 2A looks boring, but you know, I still want to be able to do it. In general, in my eyes, 2A is very repetitive and hence monotonous. Without even being able to do inside or outside loops yet(since I’m a noob and focusing on 1A play), I think my lack of knowledge and experience in 2A is preventing me from fully appreciating what is going on. 3A looks excessively difficult, but I’m going to push myself to be able to do at least a couple of things. 4A and 5A look like a lot of fun and I can’t wait to get into those styles. For me, I’m satisfied with the 5 main styles and that’s probably what I will stick with, but I won’t limit myself. If I think I can hack my way through mobius, I will.

I’ve watched quite a few of Jayyo’s performance videos, and I have to say that it’s impressive to see someone competing in so many categories. Just imagine what he’d be capable of if he specialized? But, I don’t think that’s what he wants to do. What will make it even more impressive is if he’s able to start advancing at the higher competitive levels in more than one style category.

We don’t have to like all the styles. At the same time, we shouldn’t hate the other styles, especially if we’re not proficient at it. There’s enough negative in the world, let’s not contribute to it. There’s so much to enjoy and appreciate.

I also fully believe in keeping yourself open to new experiences within reasonable limitations. I’ve already invested in 4A yoyos, despite the fact I’m still struggling heavily with 1A. I’ve invested in yoyos designed with 5A in mind, again, despite the fact that I’m not ready for that. I haven’t plunged into a pair of yoyos for 3A yet, but I think I’ll probably double up on either the Protostar or Northstar for that, but in the meantime, I have a pair of Techno 2’s for starting off with. I can’t do 2A, yet I have a pair of Unleashed yoyos and am contemplating a pair of Raiders and Loop900’s. Of course, most of my purchases are for 1A yoyos, which as most of us know can be ideal for 5A as well.

Why have I purchased stuff I really can’t use right now? I’m looking forward. I’m planning ahead. When the time comes for me to be ready to try something, the tools will be there waiting for me. I want to be prepared instead of having to say “Hey, I’m ready for this”, then go buy and wait for it. The way thing go around my house, the time lapse between “desire” and “received in the mail” can drastically alter what I am able to do. So, I’ll just stockpile stuff so it’s ready and waiting for me.

So, stop complaining and start getting back to enjoying. All the styles have merit and those who appreciate it.

i’m with ya all the way

4A is awesome. People who think 4A is stupid have poo for a brain.

like my bro turtleyo he thinks it is stupid i think

When I decided to dive into this, I knew very little, as probably most of us did. I knew about the Imperial shape and the butterfly shape, but I didn’t know how specialized those really were. So, I learned about 1A and 2A, then I saw 3A and was thinking “well, that’s the 2A equivalent of 1A stuff, more or less”. Then I saw 5A and was absolutely blown away, but that was a logical progression I thought. Then I saw 4A and was really confused, but that shouldn’t be taken in a bad way.

When you look at 4A on “paper” or “in concept”, it seems stupid. The string is not attached to the yoyo. Well, then how does it come back? How do you control it? It just doesn’t make sense until you see a little bit of it, and then if you are attempting to learn or at least comprehend or understand, it makes sense. Ah… small tosses and control of trajectory… the bind return…

What did we start with? WE started with a pegged string or a knotted string and about all we could do was throw it down hard enough so that the initial spin would cause the yoyo to hit the end of the string and then wind itself back up. Then somebody looped the string and we started to sleep it. What came next? Most likely simple tricks like rock the baby and picture tricks and things of that nature. I bet after that, with the creation of the butterfly came the string tricks, while I bet at the same time looping type tricks had been developing.

I see 3A and 5A as a natural progression of string tricks(1A). I see 2A evolving from sleeping basics. Where 4A came from, I have no idea, but it was probably some kid who broke his last string on a decent wing shape yoyo and had to find some way to amuse himself. The creation of the 4A style doesn’t make sense to me, but clearly it’s here to stay. I think it’s exciting and can’t wait to be able to do this style myself.

Each style has its own merits. Not everyone is going to like everything. That’s a fact of life.

My guess is 4A came around from messing with a diabolo. But who knows.
My view on all of this. Don’t brush it aside until you can perform it and if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

there’s something I thought about recently.

some say I went into 5A too early and I should have done more 1A first. and they’re probably right, I’m making it harder than how it should be.

but thinking of it.

there are not much known 5A tricks out there, and every 5A player pretty much goes with his own stuff.

the more you play 1A before starting 5A, the more your 5A will be influenced and biased towards what you already know. in retrospective, the less you know about 1A before you start another style, the more “free” you’ll be from the base 1A principles.

that being said, it’s not entirely true, nor entirely wrong, being comfortable with some base principles will always help you understanding things that much better. It’s probably a matter of compromise.

That’s the beauty of yoyoing, everyone doesn’t have to follow the same path. We can start on the same road, leave it for a while or leave it completely. Some of us know where we are going the first time we pick up a yoyo and some of us are just on the journey to see where yoyoing takes us. Some of us don’t even care where we are going, just enjoying the trip.

As humans we find it easier to categorize what we know and do, thus styles of play. When people see us yoyoing, regardless of style, they see it as yoyoing. In the end, they’re right!