Stuck on basic loop…

I’ve been practicing for days about 2 hours a day on the basic loop mostly inner and I’m having a big issue I can’t figure out …

My toss is pretty good ; my form is decent mostly wrist/middle finger action…

but I don’t understand why sometimes I toss it out the Yoyo will sleep during the toss thus preventing the loop from happening or even attempting. It’s happening fairly often ; Is this happening cause I need to initiate the loop sooner before the Yoyo reaches the end of the string ? I’m really confused how this even works if someone can explain this please

Yo-yo is Duncan hornet ; string is shorter ; i untangle the string every attempt so it’s not twisted or tense it’s back to default …

I’m brand new so sorry if this has been asked but I’m clueless…

Another issue I’m having is sometimes when I loop and get it back the Yoyo string is facing backwards; as instead of rolling off my finger, it is backwards facing towards me….(happens more on Outerloop)

I’m going to start with a responsive Yoyo for a while and learn the basics right now I’m obsessed with getting the loop down…

Many thanks for the help appreciate you

2 Likes

Okay not sure if I can really help on this but will try. I just took out a Duncan Hornet 2023 yo-yo out of the package. I think if it is sleeping you may be throwing it too hard (great for around the world but too much for general looping). Then with palm facing up the Yo-Yo should roll off the fingers - check this and then turn palm over. The trick starts out as a forward pass and this is the same set up. I would practice a few forward passes at a slight downward trajectory (just a little downward angle). This is to get the feel of the initial start throw. After about five forward passes then try a loop. The wrist motion starts once the Yo-Yo is close to the throw hand. The action needed for looping is mainly in the wrist. The arms should stay still. Then once you land one good loop consistently try two. This is a progression in looping. Then next goal is five consistent then ten. If you have a loop that isn’t good stop and start over. This takes sometime to perfect. Once you have five good loops down try throwing things out horizontal or a little higher. The downward throw is how Dale Myrberg taught me to loop and after perfecting the motion I switched to a regular higher throw. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Applying some thick lube to the bearing and using a fresh string may help improve responsiveness, but like Luke said it may be related to throwing too hard.

3 Likes

I have a Hornet myself, had the same issue until I saw the “fix” on Reddit. Try this:

Open the Hornet and take out one of the washers. You know, the silver donut. Not the black plastic ones, leave those alone. You also might want to try another string, like a HKMT Arata or something.

Anyway, you can loop with a “sleepy” Hornet, it just takes a little different technique, not like playing old solid axles. I would leave a little slack in the string as the yoyo nears the end of the forward pass, then give it a slight tug to start the return. With the mod I noted above you won’t need to do that. The yoyo will be a little harder to sleep, but loops become automatic. It’s a trade off.

4 Likes

Double wrapping the string can help sometimes.

3 Likes

Just had to say, I dig your handle, Daddy-O. :sunglasses:

Hahaha. Thanks dude :rofl::rofl::rofl: I came up with it really quickly cuz I got on the forum for, what I thought would be, a quick one time visit (because someone specifically requested I leave them feedback) never to be seen again but, alas, a few months and hundreds of dollars later, I’m still here. Sometimes I feel a little silly and wish I had put a little more thought into my username but then I realize that it’s pretty perfect. I have many hobbies and there are lots of things that are very important to me but none more than daddin’ and yo-in’. :smile:

2 Likes

Yoyo dads unite, brother. :+1:

2 Likes

So I’m very frustrated and thinking about just quitting yo-yo all together after five days of consistent practice and I can’t still do a loop correctly. I probably did it for three hours a day. The problem I’m having is after I loop the yo-yo is returning in this position, with the string facing the wrong way any ideas what causes this here’s a pic. I want to stick with it because I’m brand new but I am super frustrated with this. I’ve practiced it like 10 hours. Can’t get it down to reason why returns backwards.

I am desperate to figure this out and it’s becoming very frustrating. I don’t want to give up yo-yo after I just started a couple days ago but it’s frustrating the hell out of me.

2 Likes

That’s how loops work and it’s normal so don’t be discouraged! Each loop will be “sweet” or “sour”, depending on what side the string is on like top or bottom. Looping style of yoyo is the hardest style to learn and to master by far IMO.

Is the yoyo flipping over each loop? How much research have you done on looping/ what tutorials have you watched?

2 Likes

I’ve watched 20+ tutorials hours I have decent form(mostly wrist) something must be wrong cause it keeps returning like in the pic and I can’t do a second loop cause of the angle;

My inside loop returns correctly with the string in proper position but all my outer loops return backwards ;

I’m getting really discouraged thanks for the feedback ;

I started 5 days ago and I’m just practicing inner and outer loops only I refuse to learn more tricks till I can master these two …. I’m very stubborn;

I’m practicing so much my finger hurts and I feel I’m practicing wrong on the outer loop I can’t figure this out

2 Likes

Try keeping your hand open

Yeah my hand is open :+1:

I’ll pay someone to explain this to me I want to nail it so bad and just do 1 outer loop the correct way

It would help if you posted a video

3 Likes

That’s how it returns after one loop and you catch with your palm up. You should be able to continue looping anyways like if youre getting it to flip over properly and getting a proper regen, that doesn’t matter. @TryCatchThrow has been working really hard on looping and might have some better insights than me.

When I say loops flip over do you know what I mean?

1 Like

Post a video show us your form, throw and catch. It’s possible something your not aware your doing

Does the middle finger always have to face up towards the ceiling? I’m gonna take a few videos right now and post them. I really wanna get into yo-yo. It’s a dream of mine but I’m thinking of giving up. It’s so hard. You guys are the best. Thank you so much.

1 Like

No problem! I’m down to help as much as I can and would be sad if you gave up. I can loop inside and outside with each hand but am terrible with both but I’ll do my best to help you figure this out. We like talking about yoyos and tricks and the world needs more 2a. Your hand will always catch palm to the ceiling for inside loops if you want it to be oriented in your hand to throw again and your loops are flipping over each time.

2 Likes

Keep in mind this is my 5th day ever with Yoyo

I know I have arm hand movement but I just am stumped for why it’s doing this ; I looped probably 12 hours in 5 days can’t figure it out

My inner loops return correctly …

Here’s a better video

2 Likes

I thought this would be the issue. You need to catch the yoyo palm up

5 Likes