Stripped yoyo

I stripped the threads on my edge 2022. The threads on the axel do not screw into the female side of the yoyo. Is there anything I can do at this point? Or is the yoyo garbage?

2 Likes

I hesitate to even post this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I did have the threads deteriorate on a well used Duncan Metropolis to the point where even with a little Teflon tape, there was no grip. I put it in with something we had at work, so it was probably epoxy. It worked for a long while more with the one side of the axle glue in, but of course care had to be taken to keep from overly stressing either side.
So in my experience I would say you may be able to keep it limping along for some time with a little luck.

You can get a rethreading kit like a helicoil. There are some posts about rethreading around here. I havenā€™t retreaded a yo-yo, Iā€™ve only done it with paintball markers in the past. Some other people might chime in.

Edit: basically you recut a new larger thread and then screw in a wire coil that matches the original thread.

4 Likes

Yea I was going to attempt retreading b ur wanted to see what people said firstā€¦ the axle on the edge 2022 is so short so it doesnā€™t have a lot to grab onto. Sucks itā€™s my only throw thatā€™s completely messed up where I canā€™t even use it

You might be further ahead just drilling it out and retapping for the next size screw thread. Either way you should use a drill press to keep it straight.

3 Likes

I know @pyrotechnic has offered to rethread peopleā€™s yoyos before and does cool mods. I would kindly send them a DM and see if theyā€™re willing to help you out. If you donā€™t have a drill press.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t mind doing thatā€¦ shame for a throw to go to waste and I didnā€™t even throw it much

1 Like

Would that work? Would the bearing fit the new diameter axle?

Is it worth the time?

I donā€™t think the bearing fitting will be the problem., just need to drill it straight and correftly

Yeah as long as theres still material and there usually is with a c bearing YoYo an 5m axle will work in a 4m axle yoyo.

I just retapped a kids atlas before club and basically just drill it out rethread and off to the races with a new axle. Iā€™ll note it might vibe a bit after and youā€™re adding a bit more center weight to the yoyo so itā€™ll play a tad different.

If itā€™s really bad you can drill right through and tap it and use a longer set screw but obviously thatā€™s more extreme. At that point your also a few steps from tossing hubstacks on the yoyo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok at this point Iā€™m shopping for my next yo-yo.

2 Likes

This would probably get the YoYo closer to original play than bumping up to a larger axle but I imagine itā€™s a tad more expensive setup

A C bearing has a 1/4 in. ID. Considering Dif-E-Yo yoyos originally came with a 1/4 in. axle it shouldnā€™t be a problem.

2 Likes