Anyone willing to fix a stripped yoyo thread

The threads on my edge 2022 are stripped. I don’t have a drill press. Wonder if anyone is willing/has re treaded a yoyo. The screw on the axle does not catch the treads at all. Plz send me a message if you are willing to do it. This might be my last chance before I toss out this throw :cry:

You’d be better with a handheld tri-tap tool than a drill press.

And you’ll need the next size up axle that you re-tap to.

1 Like

I have never retreaded anything, but a handheld tri tap does sound like a better idea

2 Likes

With new baby life’s been hectic and I’ve been slow to get stuff done recently. I know a few folks take on commission for stuff like this but if you don’t get anyone to respond in a week i can give it a go for ya.

2 Likes

I don’t mind paying , just want to get someone who feels confident… I believe the edge 2022 uses a 10mm axle and it’s very short

It’s suuuper easy, I guarantee!

Would you be able to send me a pm with price and adress and I can send it out fairly quickly

Surely, and I’ll do it for free. Sending you a pm, now

4 Likes

9 Likes

A hand held tri-tap is fine if you’re going from M4x0.7 to 8-32, but because you are going up not even a full axle size it’s likely to strip again pretty soon. It’ll hold but not for long.

The best way to repair stripped threads is to drill out what’s left of the old threads and tap it for a full size up, in this case for a M5x0.8 axle. The drilling part should be done on a lathe and not a drill press to ensure the hole is drilled perfectly straight and not induce vibe. A drill press can fix the yo-yo, but is not precise enough and will more often than not lead to vibe.

The threading process should also be done on the lathe and not by hand for better precision, and limit the room for inducing vibe. For a yo-yo like the Edge Beyond it deserves the most precise approach.

6 Likes

That’s a fair assessment. I usually tell folks if I’m fixing it I’m adding vibe but it’ll play again cause I only have the tools I have on hand but I totally get trying to reduce the vibe significantly by doing it with more precision tools. I don’t have those tools myself I usually just fix really beat up kids yo-yos that got over tightened and are going from trash to toys again

3 Likes