Stripped threads

Last week while at a basketball game, I had my vapormotion on a belt clip on my side. When my friends were horsing around I got pushed off my seat and landed on my Yoyo. And both halves were ripped apart. Now some of the aluminum threads in the yo-yo are completely stripped out. Is there a way to tap them and get a bigger axle? Yoyo is still fairly new and I don’t want it to go to waste.

You can try running a tap in the existing threads to try to straighten/fix them, but this is a long shot. If you have the proper equipment you can retap it to a larger size.

Do they make an oversized axle?

It’s really up to you to find a new axle. Hardware stores generally have a good selection. The next screw size up would be the logical choice, then you need to retap for that size. Just forcing it in w/o retapping will not work out well (if that’s what you had in mind).

Did you buy it from us? If so send us an email or give us a call during work hours and we can take a look at it. No guarantee, and no replacement yo-yo since it isn’t a factory defect or anything, but we’re usually able to retap a stripped yo-yo.

If it stripped from being ‘crushed’ like that there’s a good chance the bearing seat is a little bent and it will have some vibe, but we’d be happy to try to get a new axle in there for you.

4 Likes

That’s awesome because retapping a yo-yo is not for the faint of heart!

Also @weebus once retapped a yo-yo for me (as a paid service) and he’s a super nice guy.