Strings, and maybe a few other things

I just got a YYJ Journey as my first real yoyo, but I’m stuck on a few things.

First of all, I was going to get some string, but I wanted to know what I was buying beforehand. It appears that polyester strings will probably be the way to go for me, is that correct? I would like it to last for a while, I play a lot, and I don’t want to change strings every day at the moment.

That’s my main question, my smaller question just if there is any maintenance required for my yoyo after so short a time, or if I can wait to learn that stuff for later.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I think it’s right, but I’m not sure.

I won’t go into individual company strings, but I thought it would be helpful to know how each material and each type of twist works with your yoyo.

Type 6 and Type 8.

There are two major kinds of string twist in the yoyo string world right now.
Type 6 and Type 8. The number refers to the ply of strings with the number of folds to create the final twisted strings.
So type 6: ||| twisted, then folded in half, 3x2=6
Type 8 being: |||| twisted, then folded in half, 4x2=8
I have also seen a 1x12 created as well.

Type 6 is thinner than type 8. For 1A play, this creates a huge difference. Type 6 is less responsive due to the string being thinner, thus creating less friction on the side walls of the yoyo and response.
Type 8 is thicker, and this results in more response, and also tighter binds for regenerations.
For 4A, the same is applied, type 8 tends to be better for regens but also creates snags easier.
For 2A, the thicker string will make loops quicker, and also loop downward which many players seek, but due to the thicker string combined with a small gap, spin times are sacrificed.

Materials:

Cotton: The most traditional yoyo string. The original. This string tends to be cheaper as cotton is a cheaper material to use. Good budget string. Issue though is that this string reacts to humidity. Cotton soaks in moisture and can leave a string feeling quite grimy in certain conditions. For fixed axle yoyos, cotton string is a must and I will go into this more in detail in a bit.

Polyester: The standard for most yoyo players today. A bit more expensive than the cotton string, but plays much more slick and tends to have brighter colors. This string does not react to humidity as much and has a decent lifetime. This string is not to be used for fixed axle yoyos as they can melt due to the friction. This also applies to many 2A yoyos as well, specifically 2A yoyos that use starburst for response such as raiders and unleashed.

50/50 blend: A mix of Poly and Cotton. A bit more abrasive than Poly but not as abrasive as Cotton. This is prime string for 2A as it will not melt as 100% poly, but will play slick as 100% poly would.

Nylon: A highly slick string that is heavier than poly and cotton. This string is great for slacks as its weight allows for greater flow and more effortless whips. This string plays very slick and tends to last for a very long time. The issue with this string is that it tends to not hold string tension very well, which could be bad for suicide tricks. Most nylon string is also quite a bit thinner than cotton and poly strings, so using these for 4A and 2A would not be recommended.

Now of course there are many other obscure materials that you may find in strings. Kevlar, string metal, gold fibers, etc. But those 3 materials are the most common you will see. Now there are many blends of such string in the market today. Based on what you know, you can deduce how a string might play by taking into account what blends the company is using in their string.

On that note, hopefully now you can choose a string that suits your needs based on the materials and ply that I have listed.

As for maintenance cleaning the bearing and keeping it lubed with a drop of thin lube is really all you will need to do for a good playing throw.

Good luck!

J
Keep throwing.

Alright, cool, I think I saw you post that a minute ago, but I didn’t read through the whole thing. Thanks.

Does brand play any role in lifespan of the string?

Yes. Some brands make really long lasting strings. Like Toxic Strings. That doesn’t mean the best strings are the longest lasting though. Some people prefer softer strings that may not last as long. Some of the individual string company strings cost more then the bulk strings that you can use for just yoyos you don’t really want more expensive strings in or if you even want to use brand strings.

Look into a couple of the individual brand strings and see if you like any. I would also recommend picking up some bulk strings.

Kitty String. I used to think there was nothing wrong with paying $.50 or more per string, but after hundreds of dollars in string i stumbled across Kitty String and haven’t looked back since. Kitty String nylon is super soft and awesome, and all of their poly is great, i especially like the thick poly as it tends to bind and whip really well but without being snaggy.

Well I think at the level I am at now, I would feel most comfortable buying long lasting strings, and I’d rather experiment a little more later.

But I’d be willing to experiment with some individual string brands I suppose if they last a decent amount of time and aren’t too spendy.