string types

What are the differences in the differnt string types by thay i mean slick 6 and slick 8. Types like that. Is there any bofy that can explane the different types and give a complete list. what each one is good for. If someone coupd answer this for me i would very much appreciate it

The type 6 and type 8 are the simplest, the numbers denote how many strands make up the string. Unfortunately that is not the case with all string types. Slick is the nickname given to 50/50 poly cotton blends for yoyo string, there is also 100% cotton and 100% polyester.

Most quality string is 100% Poly, but some are Nylon or even Nylon/ Poly Blends. There are more obscure variations but that should cover enough types for now.

What each type gives you is dependant on all the different factors. Type 8 as you might have guessed is thicker than type 6. Poly is slicker and softer than cotton and is much stronger and longer lasting, but can melt on fixed axle yo-yos or in some cases with starburst response systems.

From there I’ll leave it to someone more knowledgeable.

1 Like

Type 6 and type 8 are different thicknesses. Thickness is one of the three different factors in string making. Thinner strings have looser binds and are less snaggy, and can hold tension well, but are not as good for whips. Thick strings bind easier but are more snaggy, but whip better. However, thickness is one of the least important factors to whips and tension, that depends mostly on tightness, as well as materials.

Slick is a term for half poly and half cotton. Material is quite important to strings, and there are many different materials. What material you use in a string greatly affects that string.
•Cotton- rough, natural fibers from a cotton plant, string burns like crazy and the only thing that can stand up to fixed axles well.
•Poly- soft, easily and cheaply found and bought, most commonly used, whippy, long lasting
•Nylon- very soft, decent at whips, hard to find in any colors besides white.
•Slick- poly nylon blend, not very common, some 2A throwers use it.
•Poly/Nylon- blend of poly and nylon, mix of both attributes
•Kevlar- very long lasting, although rather rough. You might be able to get it to handle fixed axle.
•Rayon- I don’t know much about this… I think it’s kind of rough.
•Silk- very long lasting, expensive, silky

The final thing that effects how a string plays is its tightness. Tightness is what makes a string hold tension well or be whippy. Tight string is whippy, loose string holds tension well. Also, because thin string holds tension better than thick string, a tight weave for a thick string isn’t as tight for a thin string. Like, Type 7 string gets at most 23 seconds on the drill, type 4 would get around a minute on the drill.