string?

:smiley:

I am sorry for coming off as mean to you. I read that as being quite patronizing towards Jake and I don’t take kindly to that.

Friends?

Not sure what the argument here is. Some strings are definitely heavier and faster than others, but they also have plenty of trade offs. I’d rather have a string like Kitty String Nylon or the Something Poly that’s good at whips but also bouncy and cheap. Heavy strings tend to slip too much around the finger, play really flat and dull, and just be boring imo, also i can’t throw a .70 string away when i get a knot the way i can a .15 string. I have a massive bag full of every boutique string made, even stuff like Graou that cost a couple bucks a pop, yet the only thing i throw is various makes of Kitty and Something. Sure if you feel the need, and hate your joints enough, to go for quintuple brent stoles then throw on some heavy stuff, but honestly triples are no problem with even the most basic stuff. The whippiest string i’ve ever owned was the Hamstring Optimum Grade. That stuff basically felt like steel cable when you whipped it around, it was absolutely bonkers. The problem is you get to a point where the string’s just too fast, especially when you’re learning, and you’re basically just doing the movement and hoping you land it rather than understanding the mechanics behind it. The best way to get good at whips and slacks imo is with a nice slow string so you can really understand what you’re doing and work on perfecting those movements.

2 Likes

I would recomend Twisted Stringz type D- its thin and stiff. Great with slacks and whips

2 Likes

Don’t want to mention any names, but the thickest and whippiest string I’ve purchased is my least favourite. I certainly wanted to put forth the science and logic that there are differences, but that doesn’t mean it’s my preference. If anything, I want my string to be slow and open. Triple? I’m fine with a double if I feel show-offy, otherwise a single suits me fine.

Since it’s a positive comment, I DO want to drop a name this time; for the kind of nice open loops I am currently enjoying, I am going to either the G-Strings or the YYSL Type-X. They’re quite different from one-another, but both lend themselves well to the kind of play I’m trying to learn and which I enjoy.

I still have regular kitty that I bust out fairly often, and I just don’t like it as much. Fat Kitty gets some love from me, though. :wink: Expert strings have a lot to like about them, too, but I’m a wimp and I find they’re not too forgiving on the finger.

Anyhow… just yammering… all that to say, I think there’s a place for “boutique” strings in my life, but I also have room for some of the more standard fare.

Jerrod, I think where it went off the rails a little bit is simply that parts of the debate are not opinion but scientific fact. I know when I jumped in, it was to put forward the position that strings can in fact (not opinion) be faster, because I perceived (perhaps incorrectly, though at the time the debate was young!) that you weren’t acknowledging the factual principles of physics. Indeed, you challenged people to explain just how those strings could possibly help, and I obliged.

I wouldn’t argue with the opinion that you should be able to pull off slacks and whips with virtually any string (including bulk poly).

The original post simply asked for recommendations for slacks and whips without a bias either way. What got lost in the debate was the valid opinion “some strings, typically made by boutique shops, lend themselves well to those techniques” along with the EQUALLY valid opinion “I wouldn’t bother with any specialty strings. Bulk poly will also work for those techniques.”

Miscommunication is all, probably by all involved parties.

1 Like