String Recipe

Edit: photos depicted false info. Too many strings. Mb

Posted this on reddit cause thats where some guy mentioned most strings are 100% poly now. Dont worry! I didnt forget about you guys! Anyways here it is:

I haven’t thrown in a while and definitely has been a while since ive made string (4ish years?). Anyways i was recently told that most string nowadays use 100% poly and no nylon. Maybe poly got better but nylon is still super soft and durable (albeit a little hard to work with while stringing)

Anyway i thought id share the basics on how i made nylon string much more “tame” and tension-resistant.
Basically the main idea is you know how you make a yoyo string by folding it onto itself? Well you do that, but then wind the string the otherway and fold it onto itself once more to make the string.
So you need a really long rig for this. Bigger than double the size of a normal one.

I believe a normal string has 12 strands if I remember correctly so for this you would use three string 1 nylon and 2 poly and wrap it around up and then back down only once. If you want the string cw then you start the rotating cw, unlike normal string where you would start the opposite. Once you reduced maybe 6% then you walk it over to fold it and then spin the string the otherway until there is no more tension (here it should resemble a very thin yoyo string. Standard procedure for making a normal string though). Then continue spinning it the same way until you reduce it another 12% maybe. Then fold like normal and spin to take the tension out. All done! Look at my 10/10 awesome photos so you can see. Please play with the % reduction since i dont really remember it anymore.

Let me know how it goes! Strings will need more break in than normal but whip pretty well and should be more dense but still flowy.

7 Likes

@Mystik
Ah thank you for the topic change!

1 Like

In the regular process it’s important to keep the string taut as you fold it, how are you keep it taut during the initial fold in this method? Or does it not matter as much?

2 Likes

Yes it is important to keep it very taught. You just have to pull it hard as you wind it and then as you half it across the hook.

I guess I just don’t understand how you’re keeping it taught during the first fold… string would be like 20ft long at that point and I don’t have 10ft long arms lol

3 Likes

Would need a second set of hands or a large area with a swivel point in the middle. I’d be curious to see what these strings look like. Can you add some photos of the yoyo loop at the bottom and the string itself?

1 Like

Theres less of a tension/spins on the first fold, so it doesnt need to be as taught. The rig should be grounded so you can just pull it against the rig

First 2 pics are how a normal string is made. Rest are with the method shown above

1 Like

Heres the link to the post. There is a pic of the rig on there

1 Like