stiff string?

me again ;D

I have just started making my own yoyo string. 8) how do people make it stiff? ??? I’ve heard that angel hair and even some homemade strings are stiff and kind of plasticy so that they need to be broken in. How ??? ???

bump

I think that most people (I do at least) prefer a string to be soft. As long as it holds loops well enough. Why do you want it to be stiff and plastic like?

The material, mostly.

Oh… what I use is, I take the invisible sewing thread, which is like a very thin fishing line, and wind that into my strings. It has never broke. And it’s still almost brand new looking. I washed it… the bad thing is though, it’s hard to use, hurts, and it’s just really rough.

What I recommend doing is, going to the sewing store, and then looking at all the sewing string. Find one that you want. It should be kind of stiff, but not plastic like mine.

1 Like

How do I make my string hold tension better? does it help to make it thicker? I 'm using 6 wraps around, drill,put on yoyo and let yoyo spin so, string is 24 threads thick. I made one 8. that makes it 32 threads thick. that seemed to help with string tension but I don’t know if it is just the material (100% poly).

String making is largely trial and error, you may not be twisting enough to get the firmness you want. Material will have some thing to do with it, but you can twist cotton tight and when it unravels it will seem firm until it is broken in. The number of wraps you use will very between string types and brands of the thread you are using. What I recommend is getting a standard string that you can buy from a yo-yo store and making a string that will match it as close as possible. After you have figured out how to make a duplicate then experiment until you make the kind of string you like. The biggest problem is people set out to make some thing different from the original and don’t have the foundation to build on. If you can copy a string well then you have a place to start, you will be able to work your way up to something original and custom for your self.

I make string myself. And I find Twisting the string with a drill for 1 minute plus gives great results. Though the precaution it with so much tension the string could coil up.

Giz-z-yo

yea :slight_smile:

I tried to drill longer and that seems to help. Before, the strings didn’t close up at the bottom if you know what I mean.once I drilled so the string became about 12 inches shorter the tension and even slacks seem to be alllllloooootttt better ;D

It sounds like you were not twisting it enough. Keep at it and you will get it.

As stated above string making is ALL about trial and error. I went through TONNES of different thread types, weights, colours, manufacturers as well as trying different tension points, kinking methods, etc.

I love the 10 formats I make now but I’m still searching for that PERFECT string that could replace them all…maybe someday I’ll find it. Until then I’ll keep having fun! :slight_smile:

Paul

yep went to a sewing store got some polyester and some other stuf that was really stiff but not like fishing line. wnnt home made a 6 ply string that was only half of the stiff stuff and it was like double as thick as a regular string ;D

tried 2 wraps (ply) of regular and one ply of stiff stuff and it was a regular thickness

great!!! it holds whips, slacks,everything even tention good!

it is kind of stiff though ;D

I love it :wink:

thanks everybody ;D