Need Softer, Thicker String

So quite a few guys at my school have started throwing- mostly YYJ celcons- kicksides/speeders.etc, and also a DM, but I’ve tried to give them string… and it doesn’t really work.

If any of you still remember, I make 4 total rounds around the drill using polyester sewing thread. The result makes a real thin, strong thread, which also lacks bounce. Now, this is how I like my strings, bouncing just feels like the yoyo’s out of control (I tried others… can’t play like that), but the problem is… they cannot bind with this string :o My string’s real thin, around 3/4mm width… and that’s just too thin for them… and I think it’s a little stiff too. So I need to make thicker, and softer string. At least the YYE/highlights thickness, maybe even a little thicker. And softer.

So how should I do it? More layers? Less spinning with the drill? Different material??? Or what?

I’m going to try making some string. All I know is there is 6 strand and 8 strand string . The size of thread must affect the string diam.
I have kevlar string, which I will try to copy. It’s a bit stiff, but long lasting. one thread must be kevlar the others are poly.
Looks like an interesting experiment?
Will study u-tube.

The more thread you make the string with the thicker it is.

I used to use 10 when I made Elements.

I make all of my own string using high quality poly. Serger thread bought at a fabric store. They say for Serger sewing machines and the spools are usually 3000 yds for around $2.00. I have made a two color spooling device so I can do 3 wraps for a six string and 4 wraps for an 8 (it spools out 2 threads at a time). I like using 8’s personally for comfort on the finger and the response. I spin with a dremel tool until it shortens up 14 inches and put on a yoyo and let it spin up on itself. The high quality thread has a good feel, plays well and I never have to worry about buying a yoyo string again.

I use Serger thread as well, but I do find it to be quite stiff and tough on the hands, not to mention half the thickness of YYE String/Highlights. I’m also interested to know if anyone has any suggestions along these lines as well.

Batryn, because of this difference in thickness (I’m assuming you have the same thickness of thread as me), you may want to try 6 round trips of wrapping per string. This will give you just about the exact thickness of a highlight/YYE string. It won’t really do much to make it softer though :-\

here is my tut