String Length

Sorry for the mild necro but lol… I see that pun there Mister :wink:

I always ignored the instructions on how long your string is “supposed” to be and used it however it came. It’s worked out for me, either because I’m pretty tall, or because it’s the only way I’ve ever done it. I recently tried cutting a string to the recommended length, and found it to be really awkward for me.

TL;DR The right size is whatever you’re comfortable with!

For me, it actually depends on front style or side style, sessions. If I just want to do mainly front style tricks, I use a belt high string. For side style, several inches longer.

If you use a looooong string for front style tricks; you have a much better chance to loosen up your front teeth or get that cleft chin you always wanted.

For mainly side style tricks; you have a lot more latitude in movement, because the limitation of your arm length is less critical.

…And the speed aspect, already mentioned. Shorter string= Paul Han ‘Rocket Science’. Longer string = Guy Wright ‘Meditation Style’. Haha

1 Like

I’m not a pro but I’m slowly exploring my preferences in this hobby. I tend to like longer strings when I’m doing intricate string work (the easiest trick I could think of for this is the first part of Cold Fusion). Shorter or “standard” length string is better for things the does lots of “orbiting” like double/triple or nothing does. Overall, I tend to use standard length string when learning a new trick and adjust to a different length when I see the need. I ultimately test my newfound knowledge back on a standard string.

As much as I hate the response “it’s all about preference”, I can’t help but agree with it in this instance.

now i use it around my chest area or usally just below my chest actully if i have a too short string i feel like my tricks just look and feel weird