String length question

Hello, Im a beginner yoyo player and have been learning double or nothing. I found that I like a fairly short string, say 4 or 5 fingers below my naval or in the 40 to 42 inch range if measuring. Im fairly tall about 6’2. Not sure why I like my string this length but I do. Double or nothing has me thinking about string length so I would like to course correct now if need be. I am wondering if this is a sufficient amount of string to perfom most 1a tricks? Is it preference or can your string be too short?

2 Likes

It’s just preference really. Your string length is fine if you can still do all your tricks and bind. Short string plays faster and is easier to control. Most tricks are easier with shorter string but some are easier with longer string. It’s definitely beneficial to use a string on the shorter side as a beginner than too long. Also like, you don’t need to commit die hard to a string length like it’s easy to adjust to a longer length later if you feel like you need it at some point. No rules have fun yo

2 Likes

It is mostly preference.

Yes there is such a thing as too short obviously. If you’re playing with a 1 foot/30 cm string you’re not going to get very far probably. But most of it is preference. I’ve met people shorter than me who play with longer string and people taller than me that play with shorter string than I do.

Like @GTDropKnot said. If you can still do all your tricks that’s all that matters.

3 Likes

Agree on all of this but I sort of like to commit to a string lenght, it give me consistency and knowledge on what I am doing, I have always “the same situation” on my hands and get used to it the body get used to a certain string lenght as well, is nice to experiment before stop somewhere and always you can change your mind later evolving your game.

For me is about from the top of the belly button to the floor, is not too long but not too short, slacks come easier and thre is a lot of control in this way, sometimes with very long strings control is harder as you have more lenght to control.

If your intention is to learn hooks, body tricks and similar (the modern competition skillset) you will benefit from a little bit longer string, it is easy in this way to wrap your body around it, if you are more of a tech player a bit shorter string give you more control, accuracy and speed.

It depend all on what you looking for and as the good Henry said, have fun!

3 Likes

This is a short take(well, it started short until I started writing) on what I’ve learned over the years…

If you are mainly doing side style tricks… long flowing tricks… slow to medium speed> longer string.

If you are doing mainly side style tricks, but are generally geared to play at a quicker speed… a shorter string.

Back around 2003, I noticed some guys were determined to get as many string hits at Nationals. In order to facilitate that end, they would use shorter strings. And they would use a method that ‘I’ decided to call, ‘Tricks in a box’, lol. Tricks in a box is when most of the tricks happen between the center of the chest and the bellybutton. And the hands are about as close as loose handcuffs, lol. So when you are watching the freestyles, it almost looks like their hands are moving inside an invisible box. <<< Personally, I don’t think that method is as entertaining as watching longer flowing tricks that are easier to follow… but at the time, it sure was a way to rack up some ‘Clicks’.

One of the very best shorter stringed Point scoring Monsters was Johnnie DelValle(JD). In 2003, he won: Nationals, Bay Area Classic and Worlds.

In 5A, the string length makes a pretty dramatic difference. Long strings allow a powerful, flowing medium speed and shorter strings make the players look like somebody sped up the film, lol.

In 2A, older school players, that weren’t really bent on Winning all the marbles, used longer strings and were quite entertaining to just appreciated the precision of the loops.
Newer 2A style play, involves much shorter strings to assist in blazing speeds and maximum point generating.

Also, in 1A(for me), I have discovered on more than a few occasions, that if I’m using a string that is too long, and I throw down front style to mount into barrel rolls or boingy boingy, I’ve actually smacked myself in the chin…and trust me, that will wake you up in a hurry😂

Realize that it is not always just cut and dried to say… to the belly button or to the chest or mid chest or…? 3 players could be the same height and yet have different arm lengths. Different arm lengths can have some pretty interesting results with various string lengths.

When I cut a string, this is my method> put new string on yo-yo… drop yoyo almost to the floor and hold it between my shoes about an inch off the ground…pre-stretch the string casually a few times(not enough to kill the bounce/just enough to neutralize a little of that new string coil).
Then I pull the string up against the center of my body and get my free hand index finger and hold the string against my chest right as the base of the breastbone. I start my loop a few inches above that point. When I’m done, the finished string loop is right at my pecs/breastbone centerline.

I’ll stop now before I write another book🤓

PS… let’s just stick to 1A for this tip> don’t fall into the rut of believing there is an exact formula for what string length to use based solely physical dimensions. The best adventure is trying different string lengths to keep things interesting. Just a difference of 2 or 3 inches can make an Amazing difference. For example, you want to learn Spirit Bomb. You see 4 guys at a yo-yo meet all comparing their Spirit Bomb technique. Every one of them is using a string Exactly the same length. Oh boy, that must be the Magic length. You go over in the corner and spend 30 minutes trying to get the trick down with that Magical length string. And fail miserably.
You end up with a few knots and decide to change strings. You only have one string left and sadly, it’s 4 inches shorter than the knotty string… oh well, give it a spin. Smoked the trick like Butta! You literally can’t miss the trick. Every single person at the meet can have a slightly different Geometry going on.

So… even though there are general string length guidelines, sometimes you have to make small adjustments to get the ‘Stars to Align’.

5 Likes