String length at Nationals

Is it just me, or does it look like everybody had extremely long string? To there shoulder type length.

Does that make it easier for technical tricks and slack tricks?

Side note, I hit my wooden floor with my TP Hinemosu, decently hard to… First time a yoyo has ever touched the floor. Has this potentially damaged it creating vibe? Or am I safe?

No idea on the string length here.

I can talk to smacking the yoyo on wooden floors though :joy:. I have done it to most of my throws and I’m yet to see any damage. Only thing that has happened is one of my Duncan’s got a little vibe because I ring came out of alignment. It was an easy fix. Most of the time nothing happens.

I recently decided to make my string a bit longer. Tech and slack tricks a definitely easier. Just more room to maneuver and more slack to toss around.

I think tall people definitely have an advantage😂

2 Likes

People use as much string as they need for their tricks.

105-115cm is a pretty common range for competitive 1A. But this isn’t set in stone, some people will go both longer and shorter.

More length allows for more flexibility in mounts and potential tricks. Less length provides faster speed and greater control. Both have pros and cons and it depends on player pacing and trickset for what length a player should use.

If you’re considering your own string length you should be focused on what your current level of control, speed of play, and general trickset currently are.

Generally newer players should stick with shorter string because of the increased level of control it offers. You might watch a pro do beautiful tricks with long string, but if you lack the level of control and pacing they have, then using long string will make your yoyoing look like an uncontrolled mess.

6 Likes

Longer string - more room for string wrap, harder to control
Shorter string - easier to control, less room if your yoyo is big

String length must in a ratio to the yoyo size. It depends on what kind of tech play you want to be in, some short string tech player can be mentioned like Keiran Cooper, Tyler Vienneau

Just play around with the string length and you’ll find the right size for you

Remember also that sometimes a persons arm length(wingspan) can come into play.

For example, 2 players are 5 foot 8. If one of them has long arms for his height and the other has kinda short arms for his height.

Since many people today seem primarily focused on side style tricks, it doesn’t matter much because on side style tricks, your face and chest don’t get in the way.

If you have shorter arms for your height… or you just happen to have shorter arms because you are a smaller player, if you play front style tricks, your chest and your chin will find out if your string is too long, lol.

Taller players with proportionately longer arms can use a longer string for front style tricks without needing any First Aid at all. Or… if you just happen to have longer arms than normally associated with your height.

If you just happen to be smaller, all around in height, and or arm length, and you mainly do side style tricks, the only thing you really have to be concerned with is hitting the ground. That’s one reason that many people regardless of their height and or arm length can use long strings Because the body doesn’t get in the way.

Now, that being said, you can still use a longer than what would be considered average link string for doing front mount tricks. You just have to learn to choke up on the string with your throw hand to keep from smacking yourself in the face or chest or crotch, because of the extra length.

For me personally, longer string, just seems to automatically slow my tempo. So, if I feel like just throwing in a relaxed mode, I deliberately use a longer string to set my pace.

If I feel a little wound up and just wanna speed through some tricks, like I am playing, beat the clock, then I deliberately use a shorter string with a yo-yo that’s quick on the string, and just speed along. To me, this train helps set the speed.

For slacks, lacerations and suicides, I lean towards using a longer string… But maybe that’s just me?

I’m not at a very high skill level compared to most of you guys, so it is possible that absolutely everything I just said above this sentence is completely erroneous.

2 Likes

I am more on team short string, I am a short guy as well (168cm) but I noticed a short string not only enhance control and speed but also slacks are faster and more precise, horizontal is much easier to control and in general you feel more secure in playing.
I didnt find an issue on create weird slacks or do complex string trick, i think my style can be considered tech and I have no issues.
I cut the string (after stretch) at the top of my belly button.

I used a long string for long time and honestly shorten it made so much more sense to close complicated combos with more precision.

I would say have a go with both for couple of months and choose one or find a middle way, also your idea can change time to time on string lenght there is not really a rule but just experiences

2 Likes