String eater?

Still, haven’t thrown it yet. But do you guys think this will eat up strings? I’ve already started to think of designs to fix this. But I don’t want it to change too much. Also these has no ano so would the raw smoothness give it a little “wiggle room” with string rubbing?

Old CAD of it here:

2 Likes

Usually a yoyos finish is what causes it to eat strings. A raw yoyo shouldn’t be a string eater. I guess the separation from the response is kinda sharp but I don’t think it’s enough to have an effect

3 Likes

Alright, because I remember when Jeff was talking about his yo-yos eating strings so he just whipped out a dremel and sanded the response area down. Will probably just end up going out to a big grass park outside and yo-yo until the string snaps. If it does

3 Likes

If it’s gonna happen be sure to check the string every 5-10 throws, you will DEFINITELY see the string start to fray because of response area friction. This has been true every time it’s happened to me.

If you can throw for a couple hours and see no visible string fray you are probably fine.

If it’s blasted and anodized and you’re worried when you get it wipe the area seeing that friction vigorously with a stiff piece of denim or something similar and you should be fine.

Yeah, I also made this thread after reading about some blue skywalkers that had this problem :grimacing:

Yep. Those and Battosais.

It was rather common back then. The Hulk Smash peaks and other Gruntbull blasted yo-yos all had to be rubbed. It was totally worth it though (and Ted is an absolute boss and 100x better now a days).

It’s crazy to think how long ago that was now.

1 Like

About 20% of the yo-yos I see have masked off the area near the response so the rest of the yo-yo is matte but that small area near the string near the silicone response is smooth and shiny.

I was just looking at a Krown 7068 bimetal and it had this feature, for example.

My MMC too

1 Like

here’s jeff’s topic for reference

I have to agree. I just sent two of my throws to him today. Looking forward to seeing how they come out.