Strings Fraying

My strings (I use Toxic) are fraying within hours and I am not sure why… HELP!

The catch zone near the response area is most likely the issue. If it is rough it will legitimately eat strings. To fix this use very fine wet/dry sandpaper to smooth it out to fix your problem.

1 Like

Yes, something is fraying it (obviously). Could be a rough area on the sidewalls. Could be catching between the bearing and the sidewall and getting cut. The Anti-Yo eetsit had that problem. It would help to know what yoyo you are using.

Same thing happened to me. Get atleast 1000 grit sandpaper and rub around the response area for a while. That should help. Test it with old strings/cheap bulk poly.

I’d recommend some good quality string lotion. Honestly a regular hand/body lotion of high enough quality will be enough, just apply a tiny dab to the string, rub it in, and rock on, man.

3 Likes

I have never heard of anyone doing this before. But youve been here for 4 years, so you would no better.

Its a joke, :P.

Ooooh. I feel stupid now haha.

How can you recommend a solution when you only know that the string is fraying. It could be a number of things, only a few of which can be solved by your solutions.

Well from the picture it looks the same, at the same place and everything.

It also looks the same as the cut string on the eetsit.

I am using a Drop Bear and I found a couple pinpricks on the outside of the response area I will try to rub it with some sandpaper

That’s why I nicknamed my yeti “The String Eater”

you don’t have to use sand paper I hear some people use a strip of leather.

Lol, there was this guy on the BST wanting a yeti so he could give it to someone wanting a string cutter at a contest.

Sandpaper will work much better than leather. Leather may work over time to smooth down a rough blast, but man… I wouldn’t want to take that amount of time.

Since it is pinpricks, there’s even more reason to use sandpaper. 1000 grit wet/dry will work fine. You MAY remove enough material to affect the anodization in that area, but it’s worth it to fix the string eating issue. When I was resolving a string-eating finish, I moved to 2000-grit jeweller’s rouge and a dremel-sized buffing wheel, but that was overkill. I’m pretty good at overkill. :wink:

From the location on the string, and that the breakage all seems to be at the same location, it appears to be something on the outside of the response groove cutting the string. Are the other strings cut at the same place? If they are, and given that you noticed pin pricks in that area, I would imagine you have your culprit.

I was about to burst out laughing but then I realized i was in class lol