String burn while looping

I have been trying to see if any one else has had the same problem as i have but no luck. So i will ask instead. Is it normal for the string to give you burn on your ring finger while looping. I got back into yoyoing after a few years. Ive been practicing 1a and 2a. I ve noticed that if i am looping a lot i start to get a friction burn on the top of my ring finger, just above the nail. To the point that i can bleed. I ask is this normal or is it something to do with my technique.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of this personally. It’s normal to get pain where the string is attatched to your finger, but this is the first time I’ve heard of your problem.
That really sucks.
Have you tried to put a band-aid on that spot on your ring finger to keep the string from hitting you there?

1 Like

I have, better said I do. But its kinda annoying and kinda gets in the way and peels of unless I reinforce it with medical tape which in turns creats another problem witch is that it makes my finger stiff because it goes around the joint

1 Like

I’ve been practicing looping recently and I’ve had some pain on my finger where the loop is tied but nothing too severe. Maybe adjust where you’re tying the loop from time to time or take breaks more often?

Edit: I see you’re talking about your ring finger. I tend to not use mine when looping. Maybe try to keep it out of the way?

1 Like

Some players tape their fingers. It takes time to build up calluses and only happens with consistent play.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused sorry.
Is the burn/breaking of skin occurring where the string is tied to your finger? Os is it happening to the finger next to that one?
I just haven’t heard of people attaching the string to their ring fingers (not saying you shouldn’t though! Do what works for you!)

The string is attached to my middle finger
The burn happens on my ring finger
And it happens on both my hands

1 Like

Okay, just wanted to check. That’s what I thought you were saying.

I think most people go through some pain as there skin thickens when we first start out. It sucks though and I feel bad that it’s happening to both of your hands :frowning: yeesh!

Happy to hear you jumped back into the hobby again though!

Yeah
The thing is I don’t remember this happening to me back a few years
I already have the skin around my middle finger thicken but its going to take a while for the skin on my ring fingers, especially if it keeps peeling off

1 Like

Have your tried a different type of string? One of my yoyos came with a string that was way rougher on my skin than any other.

1 Like

I just been using yyf polyester
I do have some magicyoyo strings but they are way to thick for my looping yoyos

I like First Salud Loop String Lite. It’s got a tougher feel (and it lasts longer); depending on your skin it may not tear it up as much. I find a lot of the softer feeling poly strings actually burn my skin much more. YMMV.

1 Like

Never had a problem with looping causing problems on my string finger or any other finger. Nor have I heard of it before. No offense but it sounds like you are holding things in an odd manner.

1 Like

Perhaps you are just not getting your ring finger out the way as much as you should. Wish I could say more. I’m not a 2A person

2 Likes

Ok so after a bit of time now that my looping is much better and that I can do it much slower I have found out why it burns my ring finger
Both on my forward throw and wrist flip my ring finger just barely hovers under my middle finger with just enough space for the string to over my ring finger. The string rubs my finger when the yoyo starts coming back and I start moving my hand upward to start the flip my fingers spread out a bit causing the friction burns. At the moment I still get the friction burns but they don’t break the skin anymore.

1 Like