String Advice

Sorry for making a new topic for this. I’ve recently become very interested in throwing my Duncan Butterfly XT. Any string recommendations? All of the stuff I have on hand seems too big. Also probably picking up a Deep State or two tomorrow and could also use some advise on string as well. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

What is the current size of the string you have? Is it normal, fat, XL or XXL?

For slimline yoyos I’d suggest getting normal sized strings or slim sized string. The Zipline Alphaline also works well since it’s in between normal and fat.

1 Like

People are gonna give you a bunch of different opinions. You just gotta try them and see what works best for you. I always reccomend legitstrings from etsy.

4 Likes

I play Kitty Fat on pretty much everything unresponsive. Im looking to play responsive for all of April and see what happens. I also have a ton of Knot Bad string on hand but it also seems too “fat”.

4 Likes

Sure but given the yo-yos they mentioned some general advice can be given. Both of those yo-yos have pretty slim gaps. The Butterfly XT IS 2.75mm and the Deep State is ~3mm. Unless you’re going to be playing them solely responsive, a thinner string will snag less.

If Kitty fat is too thick, I would recommend either Sochi Normal or maybe Original Throw Slim as far as bulk strings go.

4 Likes

YYSL Kapow and Venom are on the thinner side, I use them in my throws that are a bit snaggy on my favorite Plutonium.

Ivan

3 Likes

I would say either kitty fat or OT fat, both are very good. You can pick the thickness according to your playing style, just try and error.

1 Like

You’ll want a fat string on that deep state. But on my Xt I actually use yye type 10 cotton. My xt seems to not like poly string. It always slips

3 Likes

I was wondering if cotton would be ideal for the xt. I picked up some thinner stuff when I placed my order for the deep state but cotton totally slipped my mind. Thanks for your input, I wasn’t sure if people were using fatter string with a deep state or thinner because of it being a slim line. I also grabbed some alphaline so maybe that will wind up being the ticket.

3 Likes

I like my deep state snappy for 0a, which means bad spin times but with a good throw can get through some 1a tricks. So I use ammo on my deep state which is probably the thickest string out there

2 Likes

On my XTs i perfer Slick-6 50/50 poly cotton blend and it also works well on the Deep State, the cotton aids in response, but the poly gives some life and whippyness.

3 Likes

Well darn. I wish I would have seen this before I placed my order. Oh well, im planning to order a bunch of cheap throws to give away this summer. I’ll have to bundle in the strings y’all have recommended when I order that stuff. Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

My preference on the Butterfly XT is Kitty Fat. I’ve played Knot Bad and Alphaline and they both play well. No need for cotton.

1 Like

Maybe not a need but from my experience it works well

2 Likes

I’m a new old thrower and have chosen the Deep States as my weapon of choice. I’ve accumulated quite a few and was going to disagree with you on string thicknesses as I always use normal but decided l would try thick strings first. I did and you’re right. I’m usually pretty logical thinker but didn’t equate the wider gap to the need for a thicker string. Now for some string shopping.

3 Likes