Has anyone tried thicker type of string, like Kitty string fat?

Does it make the yoyo more responsive and how does it feel when doing the tricks? I heard Zach usually uses fat type string in his freestyle, but it doesn’t look very responsive to me.
I’m talking about strings that are type 8 or 10

I use fat kitty string, and I love it. It shouldn’t make your yoyo responsive. Just use the thickness that gives you tight binds without snagging too much. You might have to play around with the thickness on each of your throws.

1 Like

I’m using the AC FYI, guys :slight_smile:

My friend gave me thicker string and it felt really weird to me.

1 Like

YYSL type X is nice and thick. thick is better than thin in my opinion.

1 Like

No, I haven’t yet, but I’d really like to. Who knows, maybe I’ll like it better than the normal kind. :slight_smile: really just a matter of personal preference, though. Is it supposed to be easier to land the yoyo on the string with the thick kind?

1 Like

I’ve tried all kinds of thicker strings. Kitty Fat barely qualifies; it’s not an enormous difference when compared to regular kitty, although I do prefer it.

If you’re interested in trying a thick string, there are strings of all sizes. The thickest and plushest I’ve ever tried are Toxic Metz Thick. Those are some THICK strings. They make the yoyo more responsive during binds or tricks with multiple layers. Double-on trapeze (Lindy Loop) slows down noticeably and I don’t think I’d even bother trying a ripcord.

But for certain styles, they’re pretty nifty. Ultimately, after the novelty wore off I found them too thick for me.

In the middle ground are Toxic Snakes and Toxic BG1s. These are my current favourite strings (though I still keep playing regular poly and Kitty Fat as well!). They still do well with layers (though not being a player who knows many tricks with a TONNE of layers, take that opinion with a grain of salt). They’re soft and slack and whip nice and openly at a medium speed.

For the price, the fat Kitty is a great choice: shouldn’t make your yoyo noticeably more responsive and yet has a nicer feel to it. But if you WANT to try something noticeably different, you should try some of the ones I’ve mentioned.

1 Like

I’m going to look at thicker strings tommorrow, I’m experimenting. Up till now I’ve used 100% poly normal strings. What kind should I get?

1 Like

I like thick strings, but I find they become snaggy when they wear. By wear I mean fraying.

1 Like

normal kitty is the closest to poly I think