Stability Vs Fun?

I think I see what Mark is talking about with the speed control - I just happened upon his “Fully Freestyle” video from October 2019, and somewhere in the middle I started noticing that it appears as though he was making slight adjustments in the video speed as part of post production. Near the beginning, I think it was the second song, it started to look like the video was slightly sped up, but I remember thinking the same thing when I was watching Jet Li. But I know it’s possible for people to move so fast it looks ever so slightly unnatural. And then at some point around the middle of the video, I noticed a few places where Mark got the yoyo to slow down in the middle of the air only just slightly. That’s it, right?

Markmont. FullyFreestyle (oct ‘19) and if you want to see a short clip example of what I mean, 5:30-5:45.

1 Like

To extend the analogy, musicians often consider a new instrument when the current one is holding them back. When Stefan Grossman brought Missippi John Hurt out of obscurity, he told him to choose whatever guitar he wanted in the store… he chose an off the shelf Guild, nothing that specical in the guitar world. It was all he needed for his artistry. There;s a lesson there. BTW the guitar is worth a lot simply because he held it.

2 Likes

Manual transmissions, forged blades, fixed gears, vinyl, and guitars…some of my favorite things :+1:

This thread continues to be a good read. A lot of good points made throughout.

I guess all we need now is film vs. digital cameras.

6 Likes

Kodachrome baby!
:sunglasses::rainbow:

4 Likes

i bought this guy a few years ago for some instant pix… it’s fun on trips and vacations, and people we cross paths with have enjoyed the little gifts they’ve received when we reciprocate a pic :wink:

i would have snapped a yoyo pic but the battery just crapped

6 Likes

A lot of people who have been in the community a while like Mark a lot of times will say lightweight is the way to go, because it challenges them… yyf makes yoyos like the Edge for players newer to the sport, to help them grasp some of the fundamentals a bit more easy. :thinking:that’s how I see it. I myself have been yoyoing 10 years and like more lightweight but there are some heavy throws i have that i could never get rid of (shu-ta) … but its all preferences and if you have fun with a certain type then do that :call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

100% agree with this

1 Like