stability

so, I just got my second metal yoyo - the shu-ta. I kept reading about the shutter and thought the shu-ta would be an upgrade, with better spin and stability and very durable. My other yoyo is the horizon.

I really like the shu-ta - I found, for some reason, i seem to land it on the string a little easier. It is also comfy to hold.

However, I noticed pretty quickly that it is not nearly as stable as the horizon. after doing a long trick (well, long for me) like budda’s revenge, gerbil, or cold fusion, I notice that the shu-ta is tilting quite a bit making for an awkward and difficult bind. The horizon, by contrast, sees to keep it’s nice vertical orientation very well.

While I don’t expect to purchase anything else for a little while, I have learned the importance of high stability. So, my question to the group is what yoyo’s are even more stable than the Horizon? The ones I am most considering for my next purchase are Kuntosh, Kenshin, Steel, and Sleipnir (I want to stick to around $100 but will go up a little if needed). The Kenshin is of particular interest to me because of it’s V shape (my yoyos are H and I want to try something different) and the material it is made of (which sounds like it can be distributed to the rims well for good stability). If anyone is familiar with these throws and the Horizon, I would love to hear your take on the stability question.

thanks

Seriosuly…get a CLYW,they are releasing a bunch of stuff at words and the manatee is wide and stable…

I have a horizon, and I won a vanguard at the MA states yesterday.
It is so smooth and longspinning, but only slightly less stable
silent too.
A good upgrade, only 5$ more

Horizon is one of the most stable yoyos I’ve ever used. Only upgrade I can think off the top of my head is getting an bimetal yoyo with large steel rims.

Bi-metals! :grin:

1 Like

Definitely steel. It’s the most stable long spinning yoyo I own. It plays very similar to a horizon but better in terms of power and stability. It’s my go to yoyo for learning tricks on. Horizon is my go to travel because it’s relatively cheap and really good for its price.

It could very well be your throw. Some yoyos, particularly heavily rim weighted ones are susceptible to wobble on a less than perfect throw.

What he said ^^^. That is the whole point.
Super stable; super long-spin; coupled with agility and durability.

Unless you do not manufacture them; what’s not to like? :wink:

Absolutely true. Even more so with a Bi-Metal. If you do not throw it straight, it may slightly snag the pad on the initial-throw. Because the Bi-Metal rim-weighting will overcome this force, the result will be a wobble t the side that snagged. It may or may not actually be rubbing the sides, but the wobble will be there. The spin will still be ferocious, but the wobble can be disconcerting.

thanks. Though my throw can be improved, the effect i am discussing is notf wobble, but the entire yoyo going off plane (slowly) - like an unintentional partial gyroscopic flop. I am guessing the design of the Horizon gives it a stronger gyroscopic stability than the shu-ta.

So the Steel definitely seems like it would be an improvement.

What about the Kenshin with those thinner walls/heavier rims? Theoretically, I gather that it should have the same effect as a bi-metal, but I wonder if anyone has used one and could comment on it (comparing it to bi-metals and the horizon).

thanks

Came here to say this…

I know that it’s not a part of your list, but the CLYW Manatee is the most stable yoyo I’ve used, even more so than the Chief, Sasquatch, and Blizzard. It’s the best all-around throw I’ve used, especially for the price.

I feel my throw is the main problem.Sometimes it’s good,others it wobbles.Same yoyo(not model you have).
Have no advice,keep throwing!
47yr old noob!

H shapes are usually stable… lots of rimweight. i have an NVX from Hspin(rip) and it is one of my most stable throws with 0 center weight… so tldr a yoyo with a lot of weight pushed to the rims tend to be more stable, at least in my experience

Practice with high-walled yoyos like Freehand Zero.
You can actually straighten tilting yoyos by moving slightly diagonally one way or the other, and the reason it’s tilting is also because you don’t play it straight enough, the string rubs in certain way that caused the yoyo to tilt.
Try this, do a trapeze. While on trapeze move your right hand slightly forward and your left hand slightly backward and hold it there, causing the string to become slightly diagonal against the yoyo.
The yoyo will start to tilt.
Then reverse it, move your left hand forward and the right hand backward, it will tilt the other way.
Now you know how to fix the tilting yoyo.
With enough practice you can even correct the tilting of the yoyo while doing tricks without thinking about it.

You don’t need a more stable yoyo that at best tilts more slowly. You need to practice so that you can have full control of the tilting, and hence can use pretty much any yoyo.

1 Like

Interesting, I will give that a try. Thanks!

9 out of 10 times it’s not the throw, like JHB said. Keep working on your throw, and keeping your hands in line with the yoyo. When the yoyo is on the string if the string isn’t straight you’ll start to have the yoyo tilt.

yes, i agree. I need to experiment with using the string to adjust the tilt and to work on keeping my hands in plane to avoid tilt.

I still want a cool new (super stable) yoyo though ;D