Something your afraid of.

Ok guys so for my art class we got to make a sketch every week. And this weeks topic is something your afraid of. But the thing is i cant really think of something im afraid. So why dont yall help me out and post some stuff that really bug you out!

Simple grammar mistakes.

2 Likes

complaining about simple grammar mistakes.

1 Like

clowns
a string snaping and the yoyo rolling down the middle of the street
first two that come to mind

Large spiders and monsters in the closet.

1. Bees, Wasps, Hornets, anything of the kind
  2. Anything near my eyes (especially sharp objects, or any objects for that matter)
  3. Anything near or in my ears

Bullets and sharp objects coming at me. Also flying monkeys. Anyone who claims to not be scared of flying monkeys is a liar.

1. Bees or any creepy bug that stings or bites!!!
  2. like small ledges high up and high heights when Iā€™m not harnessed to anything.
  3. Iā€™m afraid of the unknown, not knowing whatā€™s going to happen next

A future full of people glued to the television screen.

Isnā€™t it ironic that you made a simple grammar mistake, by using the fragment ā€œsimple grammar mistakeā€? LOL

Having a Noctu rip throw my eyebrow! Twice.

That maybe my swag will reach a point that itā€™ll start hurting others. #tybg

Falling UP into the sky.

1 Like

Subject- grammar mistakes
Verb- simple

Sentence. So he was right.

Cold lotion contact on sensitive areas, not even kidding.

In informal language, we are all at liberty to use sentence fragments, so I donā€™t think it was a problem to begin with. But since weā€™re trying to be pedanticā€¦

ā€œSimpleā€ is NOT a verb. In this case, it is an adjective, along with ā€œgrammarā€. Both modify ā€œmistakesā€.

What kinds of mistakes? Simple mistakes.
What kinds of mistakes (pt 2)? Grammar mistakes.

[edit]The subject is missing (understood to be ā€œIā€, but not in a grammatically correct way), and the predicate is incomplete without a verb. Therefore, not a sentence.

This is particularly true in Q&A formats. If we expect full sentences, the dialog would have gone:

ā€œWhat are you afraid of?ā€
ā€œI am afraid of simple grammar mistakes.ā€

Now thereā€™s a subject and a predicate, butā€¦ yeahā€¦ you see that itā€™s totally unecessary.

2 Likes

I figured someone would call me out on this. Pretty sure everyone understood my point, though.

I fear for the future of our planet.

I got something similar, I misspelled weird on a post in the General Yo-Yo part of the forum, and not a single person said anything.

And I thought I was smart for once! Thats why I have a D in Language arts, never remember verbs, adjectives, prepositional phrases etc. By the way, arenā€™t you a English/Grammer/Language Arts teacher?

[quote=ā€œdingo54,post:19,topic:51332ā€]
WAS an English teacher in a past career (though they say ā€œonce a teacher, always a teacherā€). Iā€™m now a software developer.

Thereā€™s definitely a time and place for formal rules. But there are also good times to ditch formality. I would think that an internet forum would be one of them!

That said, I think what Links is really more concerned with smaller-scale problemsā€¦ like using ā€œyouā€™reā€ when you should be using ā€œyourā€.