something that ust annoys me..

Sometimes. Over hype comes from the people that say things about it within their first week of having it. You know that feeling when you get a new yoyo and you’re like, “this is the best yoyo ever,”? Well, that’s what happens to a lot of people and say things too quickly. Usually, hyped yoyos deserve it, like the chief. I’ve heard of no one who didn’t like it. The Chief is well designed and deserves recognition.

Now you know of one. :slight_smile:

Yes. Think about it.

Two* :wink:

It was good but it didn’t live up to the hype it had.

I tried the C3 Di Base.

It was a true player! Played great, handled all my tricks better than my DNA.

But it played very generic to me.

Better make that three. It’s a good yoyo but it didn’t blow my mind.

Yuki

But you said it was good implying you liked it. He said he hadn’t heard of anybody who didn’t like it…

With all the hype it gets, I thought the yoyo could fly! Very overrated throw.

I’m not completely opposed to reviews from kids, but when I’m look around for review and find 20+ from children that are basically, so I got this yoyo the other day, it’s got a ball bearing, it’s great… Here’s the ball bearing… And uhm yeah it’s pretty great go get one! With only a few by adults being that bad, it’s not so much an opinion to be refuted. But more of a general fact. Not to say there aren’t kids out there that are well informed and do a good job, but for every good one there’s 20 others who fit the bill. But on the other hand, that behavior doesn’t magically stop when you become an adult either :-p

1 Like

This idea that yo-yo skill somehow translates into qualified yo-yo opinions is coming up frequently lately.

What evidence do we have that skill equates to believable opinion? NBA stars all tout their own model of shoes - does that mean they are the best? Clearly these “skilled” players may have a different agenda than just supplying an unbiased opinion. Indeed, it is the most skilled players that likely will have the greatest temptation to “exaggerate” the truth to spur sales or affinity to a brand.

In my opinion, the best reviews come from those that have thrown the most different brands and models of yo-yo’s. This, right off, disqualifies many of those skilled 12-year olds. I am sure there are more than a few “experts” out there that only have 4-5 yo-yo’s. What good is their opinion when it is based on experience with so few models and brands?

"Man, the Protostar just RULES!"

Those that have thrown hundreds of yo-yo’s; from many different manufacturers are the one’s who are most qualified to form opinion. After all, what other criteria could there possibly be?

lots of lots of hype makes this lots of yo-yos seem special

YoyoGeezer, there’s definitely something to what you say. I think there’s a middle ground somewhere, though. For an opinion on performance to be valuable, the person sharing the opinion should probably understand something about it. If you’re not a thrower with at least some moderate skills (not saying you have to be a world champion) you’re going to have a hard time speaking intelligently to all manner of aspects relating to performance.

But it’s also true what you say: somebody who happens to be skilled but has only played a few yoyos isn’t likely to be able to make comparisons. Comparisons lend credibility to a review and help balance out opinions. “It’s a crazy stable yoyo” means something if we know the person’s history of ownership, but it might mean nothing coming from an unknown source. On the other hand, “I find it to be a bit more stable than the Code 1” sets a baseline and then compares against it.

It helps if the reader has experience with the yoyos being compared to, as well, but I still think the comparison approach holds more information and value than the straight-up opinion.

Then again we aren’t payed to endorse their product. That’d be a nice thought though >.<

What not all kids are bad at reviewing. Im 13 and wrote a nice review on the summit.

Wow, ok so us 13 year olds are bad at reviews, yeah? Thanks.
My review of the Model 10 isn’t the best but it isn’t nearly the quality you describe us “kids” to make.

Haha this whole thread is so fun to watch. I love it when people get deep about stuff like this. :smiley: Anyways, if I enjoy my jojo, I enjoy my jojo. I guess you can get over hyped about anything. But maybe that over hyped-ness to some people really is that level to others. Just my opinion. :confused:

I think what he means is 13 yr olds are more impulsive when they get something so there going to make it sound good because as you all know we like stuff short sweet and too the point. However this mostly means when you review something you point out the obvious by not really going in depth.

did you read the post? It says he doesn’t mind kids reviews so long as they’re good ones. So if your review was good, then he’s not saying he doesn’t like it.

About that hype. Hype’s to main stream… I’m goin to Starbucks…

at 12:27 in the morning? Your crazy!

Touche’.