something that ust annoys me..

Well, frankly I think the DM II plays very nice, what is it particularly that you didn’t like about it, other than it didn’t make you an instant expert? Expectation sometimes are overblown by reviews. A lot of reviews are way overboard on the praise. I don’t think I’ve bought a yoyo yet based on a review. I buy mostly on “feel” - size, shape, color, and a couple of intangible factors.

1 Like

This is why I think people should wait at least 2 weeks after playing with the yoyo for awhile before giving a review of it, or claiming it to be one of the best yoyos ever made.

3 Likes

yeah I find that too as well.

same hear

The Dark Magic two was my first yo-yo above $12 that wasn’t a gift (gift being legacy 1). This gives it a boat-load of sentimental value, not to mention it is ‘decent’. So in that instant I’m a bit biased. Also I always try and get myself into a mind-set where I’ll be super pessimistic before I get something; that way when I get the thing, it will exceed every expectation I put on it. (I mainly do this with movies. Also it’s very hard when honestly you’re super-excited)

I feel that hyped yoyos often dissapoint me aswell, I think that’s why my not so hyped throws are my favorite because I think bad about them and then I’m like duuuuddeeee… This throw is sick!

Same. I love the DM2! The Cliff and Chief I tried were good, but not “totaly mindblowingly awesome”

same here.

Ya somethings ‘ust’ annoy me too. :wink:

How could the Summit disappoint you??

Very easily.

1 Like

But at the same time you have adults who post tons of long reviews yet can barely land kwijibo… I’d choose a review from a young player who was talented over an adult who wasn’t. Although there’s plenty of older, skilled reviewers and players here i trust so i usually don’t have to worry about that, but i think a lot of people make the mistake on these forums of trusting the people who post the longest and most, rather than the ones who might have more experience and a higher skill level.

I agree with the principle of “yoyoing experience” over “life experience” in general. However, it is less likely that a 10-year-old prodigy is going to be able to speak as eloquently about the positive and negative aspects of an given item (yoyo or otherwise).

I trust reviews from reviewers that seem trustworthy and knowledgable “enough” and can then translate and transfer that knowledge. You don’t have to be able to smoothly execute Gramma Kimmitt’s Sandwich to understand what stability, long spin time, grinding surfaces, etc. mean. You just have to be skilled enough. If you throw wobbly and your spins die in 30 seconds, you’re probably not the person to speak with any sort of authority about spin time. If you can’t play much horizontal, it might be worth mentioning in the review (as I’ve seen saintrobyn do).

So for me, it’s trustworthiness, informed by adequate experience. If a 10-year old is experienced, can speak well, and imparts a sense of confidence, I am more likely to respect that review than one by a 39-year-old who can’t throw and sort of “wings” the review in a rambling way.

Well Abby, as it relates to the DMII, that yo-yo has never disappointed me, and even when I played it today, it amazes me how smooth, long spinning, comfortable, and versatile it is for the price. Not to mention that it comes in more colors than any yo-yo I have ever seen. Of course, that is my opinion, and I enjoy it immensely because of how it has handled tricks as I’ve tried to learn them. That is my daily carry yo-yo, and it does everything I want it to do. No matter how much money I spend on different yo-yos, I really never needed another one after I bought that one. That’s the reality for me.

As for reviews, I don’t create them, and I don’t frequent review threads, review sites, or Youtube review channels, but when I stumble upon them, there are certain things I look for. I prefer reviews where I can identify with the reviewer and what they have to say about the yo-yo. I don’t need some highly skilled player talking over my head, and I don’t want to want to get information from a bumbling idiot either. So, my preference rests somewhere in between. I just like to get the information in a well thought out, organized fashion, like someone took a little time to sort out their thoughts. I like to get my information in common sense layperson’s terms, without a lot of unnecessary yo-yo jargon. In other words, just let me know if you played the yo-yo and enjoyed it from your perspective, if it felt light to you or heavy, seemed to play fast or slow, felt good in your hands, looks as good in person, how it was packaged and what came with it, what you paid, and whether it did everything you expected it to do. Most of all, was the yo-yo any fun at all to play, and did you feel that you got what you paid for?

I guess the point is that the review is only as good as someone who can identify with it. A good reviewer has to ask themselves who they are reviewing for. Is it meant for everyone on some basic level…even the beginner, or professionals? Everyone who writes anything should consider their audience. I will not like every review, but then again, if I don’t like it, they are probably not catering to someone like me anyway. I’m fine with that. I don’t like everything of anything that exists anyway, so I am never disappointed in this area. Also, I don’t flatter myself to think that every review was made for someone like me.

Lol The trick is to have low expectations for everything :stuck_out_tongue: unless its something you can’t help but be super excited and hyped for. That way, nothing is a disappointment.

THANK YOU!

You wanna talk over hyped? Don’t look at the DM2 look at the high end brands.

2 Likes

Them’s a fightin’ words, mister! [/failcowboyimpression]

Yuki

I think I’m coming to the point where I am depending less on reviews to choose my yoyos. Now that I understand thembetter and have a better knowledge of my preferences, I don’t need them as much.

lol keep telling yourself that.

Wow it’s really the high end brands that are over hyped?