Something I’ve never been able to figure out: when you mess up a bind, that knot that forms, how the heck does that happen?

I mean it seems like the string sometimes goes through the weave of the string, it’s something that physically doesn’t make sense to me, and therefore I’ve never know which part of the string to pull to loosen it, I basically just do trial and error.

4 Likes

I too am perplexed by this one! It seems if I try to pick the knot with a little tool it only gets tighter around the axle too.

I’m assuming this is exactly the same kind of knot you get from messing up a standard GT dismount.

I DONT KNOW A SINGLE THING.

Well this usually happens when I do a laceration and I believe the string loop accidentally loops around one side of the loop while leaving the other.

What happens is the loop wraps itself around the string and gets caught under a layer wrapped around the bearing. This is great video on what is happening during a bind and how a bind works. Watching this made me better at binding overall.

3 Likes

Thanks, I watched this a long time ago but had forgotten about it.

I’ve always had problems with sky binds having a loop tangle, I guess I’m leaving the tail too long?

pictures?

Same, I watched this when I was first learning binds. But now that I know how to bind with ease, I find this video much more interesting. I think I can tighten up a few of my binds after actually understanding how interfering with the spin of the outer race causes the string to wrap up to the response. I havent thought of it this way since initially watching the video and im glad I revisited it.

1 Like