Some basic beginner questions

Hi I’m Lourens 48 years old, a complete beginner that wants to be a pro. No just kidding, getting a good throw some basic trics and a reliable bind for now will be great. I had some basic questions for you experts.

• I had a look around the internet and local (Internet) shops and from all the most advised beginner yoyo’s (First Base, Replay , Arrow) the YYF Arrow is the one that I can easily get my hands on. I had the idea of buying 2 of them (they are cheap enough) setting one up as a responsive yoyo and the other as a unresponsive so I can easily swap at will and try to learn a bind as fast as possible while also learning a good throw and a few trics on the responsive yoyo. I’m also considering buying a yyf Loop 720 as that looks like something I played around with as a kid and it’s maybe a way to test if I prefer 1A or 2A.

What do you experts think of this, would that be a good approach?

• Do I have to lube a new yoyo immediatly or do they come pre lubed?

• What happens when I lube a responsive yoyo like the arrow with the preinstalled bearings with thin lube? I ask this as one internet shop claims that the YYF performance oil long spin is good for both responsive and unresponsive yoyo’s while I had the impression it’s only for unresponsive ones. They also sell dark matter lube, is that any good?

• The Arrow comes with a flat wide bearing for unresponsive play. Is it worthwile, now or in the future, to upgrade to a centre track bearing?

Love to hear from you guys.

3 Likes

if the YYF Arrow is the one you can get your hands on then go for it i do recommend the Replay though i hear it’s very good for the price the Arrow is about $15 and the Replay is about $16 so there isn’t a huge price gap and i think that is a good idea to set one up as responsive and one unresponsive i think that’ll do you good

2 Likes

Yes, I will keep my eyes open for a Replay. As I’m not living in the US my choices seem to be a little limited. Thank you for your suggestions

2 Likes

oh ok i can see why your limited good luck!

1 Like

2A is a great yoyo style but be aware that 1A will yield satisfactory results much faster. In other words, 2A takes a lonnggg time to get even remotely good where 1A can have you learning and completing tricks pretty fast. I’d recommend getting both yoyos. You can watch videos and learn with the 1A style and plink around with the looper when you feel like it.

5 Likes

You only need to lube a bearing when it gets really loud.

Thin lube will not make a responsive bearing unresponsive and it will not make it more responsive, I don’t think it will do anything.

If you were in the US I would recommend the First Base, but seeing as it looks like you only have the Arrow available. just get that.

Keep the flat bearing and don’t buy a center trac. Until you get consistent at binding and doing string tricks it wont really make a difference.

4 Likes

The folks here will be of great help to you! They’ve helped me understand a lot and I hope you get the answers you’re looking for! Have fun figuring out your style!

3 Likes

Yes, that was exactly what I had in mind. I did loopings as a child with my yoyo, I hope I still have some muscle memory left after 40 years :slight_smile:

Oke, I’ll keep that in mind.

Thanks for your advice, I’ll keep my money in my pocket. I don’t mind spending a few bucks extra but only when it makes sense.

2 Likes

Thanks Jared, I’m sure to have fun discovering yoyoing :smile:

1 Like

If I had followed this advice, I would have either sold my beloved One Drops or given up yoyoing all together out of frustration. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

I’m saying just wait maybe the extra 2 months until you can bind and do double or nothing and stuff, did you start collecting OD before you started doing binds?

1 Like

Er, no.

I wasn’t throwing metal yoyos until I could do Double or Nothing and execute a basic bind on a plastic yoyo first. In fact, I didn’t have any yoyos with (full size) flat bearings until I got my first One Drop, so it wasn’t an issue while I was in the first few weeks of unresponsive play.

My ProtoStar and Replay Pro had CenterTracs, and I wouldn’t recommend any beginner try to learn unresponsive play on anything less centering than that.

2 Likes

Well a Centre Track is only 10 euro around here, so I’ll get one just to be sure. Thanks

1 Like

I have just put thin lube on a responsive yoyo. It’s much better than thick lube. I recommend that you thin lube everything. Your bearings, the dog, the light switch, a ham sandwich. Just to be sure.

2 Likes

Lube will make your bearing/yoyo spin less, no matter it is thin or thick. The less lube the longer it’ll spin

2 Likes

Well, I just ordered 2 YYF Arrows and a Loop 720. Can’t wait to get started. Thank you all for your advice and opinions.

5 Likes