Looking for my first yoyo

Hello all,

I’m an absolute newbie to yoyos. I’d like to get into some really cool yoyo tricks, but my yoyo I have now is really dodgy (to me at least).

So, here I go:

-Do you know how to bind the yoyo? (If you don’t know what bind means then you don’t know how)
Nope.

-Do you have a yoyo that you own or played with that you have liked very much? Describe every detail. Eg. what kind of friction stickers you are using, cleaned bearing or not, and so on.
I own one, but I do not like it at all. I gave it to my sister. :smiley: it was not a butterfly yoyo, but the other one (I forget what it’s called) and it had a fixed axle.

-Do you have a preferred shape of the yoyo?
Preferably a butterfly shape. I know a bit about yoyos.

-Do you have a preferred weight or weight distribution?
No.

-Do you have a price range?
Preferably under $100.

-Do you have a certain amount of yoyos narrowed down? List them.
No (being new).

-Do you prefer a certain brand?
No.

-Are you looking for a yoyo that specializes a style? Like looping, off string, freehand, etc.
I would like a non-fixed axle.

-Do you prefer a certain response syetem?
What’s that?

-Do you want hubsstacks or z stacks?
Same answer as above.

-What trick are you currently working on?
None, I just want to learn as I go along.

-Do you want a yoyo to Thumb grind or arm grind good?
Again, what’s that?

Sorry if I missed anything.

Thx in advance,
JjStAr

EDIT: Changed the title to something more relevant.

Well, I would like to welcome you to the yoyoing community, and congratulate you on the start of your journey! There are a lot of good options for a starter yoyo. One of the best, in my opinion, is the YYJ Classic, for only $10, I believe. It plays responsive, meaning it comes back with a tug, and can play unresponsive if you swap out the slim bearing for a thicker one, and change its O Ring response to YYJ Silicone pads.

Another good option is the YYJ Dark Magic II. A lot of beginners start of with this throw, and its a great yoyo. It has large amounts of rim weight, allowing for long spin times, and comes with 2 bearings, a thick and a thin one, which enables you to play responsive, and step up to unresponsive play when you need to. I feel like the Dark Magic is one of the best options out there to start, because it can take you from beginner level, all the way to the top. This costs about $40, if I’m not mistaken.

YYJ also makes some other great throws that, like the Dark Magic, come with 2 bearings, have lots of rim weight, and are all around good throws: The Legacy II, and the Chaser.

Many people will recommend two options from YYF: The One, and the Whip. In my opinion, these yoyos are way too light for a beginner, and do not allow for the long spin times that are crucial for learning tricks on.

Along with your yoyo, you may want to buy some bulk string, as well as some lube. The lube is to treat your bearing with, making it responsive and last longer.

PS: Unresponsive play is when the yoyo does not come back with a tug, and requires a bind return to come back. Unresponsive throws are needed to do more advanced 1A tricks. A response system is what the yoyo uses to grip the string, making the yoyo come back to your hand. There are many kinds of response including starburst, silicone, SG sticker, and O ring to name a few.

Z stacks/Hubstacks are attachments on the side of the yoyo that rotate independently, allowing you to grip the yoyo by the stacks while it spins.

A grind is when you allow the yoyo to spin on a part of your body.

1 Like

A yoyojam classic sounds like the perfect yoyo for you. I own one and still go back to it even though I own many other much more expensive yoyos. It can be easily changed from responsive to unresponsive with the swap of the bearing and response so it allows for easy advancement and the large size makes it easy to hit tricks

Thanks guys. Looked at some pictures:

YYF Classic: Not bad. Looks like a good beginner one.

YYF Dark Magic II: WOAH! That looks pretty cool. Probably gonna go for that one.

Thanks so much guys. Can’t wait to get my yoyo!

JjStAr

If you go with the Dark Magic, you won’t be disappointed. Like I said earlier, you can go from the beginner level, all the way to the top, although you’ll probably want to try some new throws by then! It’s like a sickness, once you buy a yoyo, you can’t stop!

Go ahead and buy a Dark Magic II, you can’t go wrong with it!

Just one more question:

Can you buy these in toy stores, or do you have to order them online?

Well, if you can find a specialty yoyo store, then they may carry a Dark Magic, but generic toy stores won’t have anything more than maybe some Yomega Fireballs or something. Online is your best bet.

Ouch. I definitely can’t get online, so…

Not looking good. :’(

EDIT: It may be possible if I ask my mum or dad, but they probably won’t let me…

GET THE DARK MAGIC II. It has a slim bearing for responsive play and a large bearing for unresponsive play when you get more advanced.

Just get a Velocity.

It can take you from the easiest tricks to the hardest tricks with the twist of a dial.

It is also very durable.

There you go.

Well, If you want to buy it in stores, I suggest you go over to Toys R Us and get a Yoyofactory Velocity. It can also be both responsive and unresponsive, and is a very good performer.

You could probably also get a Duncan Pro Z with it too

I got a metal drifter from toys r us, they have Duncan butterfly/imperial, yomega xodus (2), velocity I think, some yoyo named pro Z and stuff.

Some may not recommend this but I started on a Yomega fireball (if you like butterfly take a saber winged one). These yoyo are available in pretty much all of the stores. Use Vaseline or something like that to lube it. It is made with a transaxle that means that there is a plastique bearing where the rope is wrap around.

Hope that you’ll find what your looking for! :slight_smile:

Ok, I don’t think our time zones match up. :smiley:

Thanks for the help, but I think I might ask mum and dad for a Dark Magic II from this site. Thanks for all your help!

If you can get them to buy you a DM II, then you’ll be pretty psyched. I can’t say enough about the classic though. I have bought almost 30 high end yoyos over the last couple weeks, and I still find time to throw the classic. It is a surprisingly good yoyo that plays better than it’s price tag suggests.

Went to the shops, found nothing. Looks like online is my only option.

This site has great services and is completely safe. You won’t be sorry about buying it in here.