So... let's talk dubstep at contests.

Wow, I listened in some Sennheiser headphones, and I was missing a lot in the computer speakers…that’s a huge difference. I can dig that track. Any idea who coined the phrase “dubstep?” Also, it seems it was introduced in the early 2000s, but who is known to be the first dubstep artist?

They are, technically. However, that is the ultimate extreme. Brostep and Dubstep are very closely related. Both can be put under EDM too.

Guys, it’s like trying to argue 1a is yoyoing and 4a is offstring. True, but they are both forms of the same thing.

If I ever make it to a contest, this is my song, just because.

1 Like

Just be happy that this song isn’t used by 3/4 of the contestants anymore.

2 Likes

There wasn’t really a “first” artist, more of a group of people that took influences from the UK Garage, drum & bass, and 2step/reggae genres (UK Garage is another genre I recommend if you’re diggin older dubstep) and evolved it. If you’re interested in the evolution of dubstep, check out this bbc radio show from a few years ago about the history of dubstep, its incredibly interesting and really worth a listen (some great tracks in there as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHNgUUvcR0

If I remember right, they go over the “where did the name dubstep come from” question :smiley:

1 Like

Dub + 2-Step

Our next competitor, from Japan…

I like certain dub step. It’s like rap. I only like 4 raps. However, dream theater, I can listen to all day (new album soon)

Does Dream Theater have enough albums to play back to back in 24 hours without repeating one? I know Rush does.

Rush is amazing, I have all the albums.

3 Likes

http://i.minus.com/iwEDgRcZOC1ud.gif

And aren’t we all glad that Sandstorm has finally died?

I wish I had enough money for that. I have Fly-By-Night, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels. I want A Farewell to Kings, and Vapor Trails Remixed pretty badly.

Dream Theater, though, I want a lot of their stuff. All I have right now is a few songs…

Actually, I looked through my collection, I am missing a few, but my favorite album by rush would probably be Rol the Bones. However, my dad collected them over the years, so he has quite a lot of rush and dream theater (I’m pretty sure he got all of the dream theater, even limited edition ones. He went to all of the concerts in 1999-2001 or something.)

The only bad thing about Roll the Bones is the rapping in the title track. Even then it just becomes a part of the song, I guess. But it’s pretty bad rap.