So, I made my first YoYo

And, I just finished out an Aluminum version.

Still weighs a ton.

102.5 grams

If my tools show up in time, it’s possible that I could have another couple of YoYo’s this week.

Any later than Wednesday, and they will be a month or so out, as I have a buddy coming out from Tennessee for a knife collaboration project.
It’s going to take about 3 weeks for that to conclude.

If you can make me an H-Shaped Titanium with a good Finger/Thumb Grind array, I’ll send you a free Torque. … “Pass around.” :wink:

You could set a new world record for longest spinning yoyo with a bearing . I recommend you try it

All those words are English.

But make no sense to me strung together in that particular order!

H shaped?

Grind Array?

Torque?

H shape refers to the shape of the yoyo gap-wise; IE: The Yoyofactory Shutter

Grind array( I believe) is referring to the yoyo’s ability to do a grind trick, which is when the yoyo, while spinning, makes contact with a part of your hand/arm. For example, a finger spin is when it is spinning horizontally on your finger, and a thumb grind is when the yoyo is spinning while the inner “lip” of the cup is on your thumb nail.

Torque is just referring to his yoyo, The Duncan Torque

Pass a rounds are not all that common from what I’ve seen. Trying to keep something like that organised could be a logistical nightmare unless you did it with the right people.

For the most part the yo-yoing community is a friendly and trustworthy place. As with anywhere, there may be a few people here and there trying to pull a fast one but they’re definitely the exception rather than the rule. Scammers are usually identified and dealt with pretty well on here.

A genuine rule of thumb is to look under each persons username at their “trade count” number. You can view the feedback on their trades and sales individually, but the general rule of thumb is the higher the number, the more trustworthy the individual. :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m aware that my number is very low. Still, you can always trust an Englishman.

Oh, I worked with enough Englishmen overseas to know all about you guys…

;D

1 Like

If you can perfect the machining, you can make some decent money off of it. People would love to pay to get their cad designs made into a real thing if you can get it consistent enough.

I don’t know whether that was a compliment or an insult, but you sir have just won your very first ‘thank you’. ;D

1 Like

Oh, the machining should be easy enough.
I’ve got stuff on Mars, and built parts of the space station.
Ran the machining operations for Chevron for all of sub-Saharan Africa for a few years.

YoYo’s should be easier.

Just got myself a CNC lathe a few weeks ago, and it’s itching for projects.

Cant see hiring it out as a good option, as generally people don’t like to pay a man what he is worth on their own pet projects, but I do love making my own stuff!

1 Like

Perhaps it was a little of both!

For some clarity here, since I have already received a few emails.

I am NOT looking to make your YoYo designs.
I know, I know, it’s probably the coolest thing ever, but I just don’t have time to work on other peoples stuff, and my pricing would likely shock you.

I do want design feedback, and I do want to learn, but I am hard headed, my own boss, and I make what I like to make.
I already run a moderately successful business making things, and there isn’t enough hours in the week to make all the things I want to make already!

I have no idea if I will ever sell a YoYo, but I assure you, I will make some!

I will also show them here.

2 Likes

Now that is an achievement!

So, a finger spin happens here?

http://fellhoelter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1803.jpg

And a grind happens here?

http://fellhoelter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1804.jpg

So, can I just buy bearings from YoYo expert and use them?

Or are some specifically only allowed to be used in certain brands?

Meaning, Bob came up with this bearing, so only Bob can use them in his YoYo’s.
Henry can’t make YoYo’s using Bob’s bearings.

Right now, All I have on hand are some random bearings from an industrial supply house.

A grind is a generic term for the yoyo spinning on a part of your arm/ finger, so all three are basically a grind
the first pic is where you would do a finger grind; http://i.ytimg.com/vi/67I7h-lPFBQ/maxresdefault.jpg
The second pic contains the lip of the yoyo and the flat center
The flat center is where you would do a finger spin:http://i.ytimg.com/vi/QO1wIxVM0G8/maxresdefault.jpg
And the lip is where you would do a thumb grind:http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FFbnCpsKkR8/maxresdefault.jpg\
Generally, a “blast” helps with grinds, but I’m not sure whether it can be applied to titanium.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, reverse them.

Nope, AYYA records need to be set with production yoyos.

1 Like

Bob wouldn’t happen to be related to Billy, would he now?

You guys are awesome, thanks for the help.

Any ideas on the bearing usage?
This question of course relates to if a guy was selling YoYo’s.

Anybody can make anything they want for themselves without worrying about patent/copyright issues.
Selling things is different.

I always design things with the possibility of sales in mind.

Many things never hit the market, but they are still designed as such.

Same question with response systems too I guess.

I just ran some silicone O-rings in these, but now that I am looking around, there are a lot of different setups out there.

This YoYo thing seems pretty darned cool.

I made a couple just because I can, and I like throwing YoYo’s

The more I look around, the more I am thinking there is an actual market for these things.

Cuzzins I think.