Smileypants' 3a adventure

Whelp, here goes nothing @andy569!

16 Likes

I gotta ask :joy:

What did you think of the length of the string I sent them with LOL

6 Likes

It totally threw me off at first, but I’m glad they’re short. I can see why you recommended this length almost immediately.

5 Likes

Yeah my 3a string is a good 8-9 inches shorter than 1a

I think the string I sent you is like 2-3 inches longer than what I use

I’m excited to hear your thoughts working on the basic mounts :joy:

3 Likes

OH!!!
Do 2 handed walk the dog!!!

lol
seriously not trying to put any kind of serious pressure on you…I mean this all in good fun…but I’m really looking forward to getting updates on your progress with this :D.

3 Likes

It is so cool of @andy569 to give you these! Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Well now you gotta learn it :wink:

7 Likes

It’s on my list. Right now I’m trying to get consistently ambidextrous with the assisted front mount.

This is hard, but not as impossible as I imagined it would be. 3a that is…

3 Likes

The assisted front mount is kind of useless and not cool looking compared to all the other mounts so you could honestly skip it for now. I still don’t really use it or have any plans to really start using it anytime soon.

I would skip(or at least start taking a look at) to the velvet mount, kink mount, and blueline mount on that tutorial series if I were you

2 Likes

I think this post by Palli is pretty accurate

Cuz I kinda got the basic combos for the mounts down now but I definitely feel an improvement wall coming.

And doing two different things with both hands simultaneously still seems pretty crazy to me, my brain can’t process it. Even something as simple as doing 1.5 mount pinwheels with one yo and doing other stuff with the other yo(Id say this is the 3a equivalent to doing pinwheels with a counterweight while doing other stuff with the yo in 5a) is still pretty difficult for me.

3 Likes

Interesting, I might take you up on that advice. I can do the assisted front mount once in every four tries. What’s really difficult, is once the yo-yos are in the mount, they do this weeble wobble thing. I haven’t quite figured out how to make that not happen.

These knots are next level too, good grief!

1 Like

Idk what you mean by weeble wobble(:joy:) but I remember the two problems I had was just missing the string altogether when I tried to get into the mount, and the yoyos just colliding together when I did get into the mount.

But yeah I like the kink and blueline mounts a lot and the velvet is just a classic. They are potentially easier than the front mount too. I think the kink mount is the easiest to learn because you’re basically just getting into 1.5 mount with both yos

1 Like

You know, weeble wobble. Both in plane with one another, but kind of bobbing up and down.

Oh yeah dude, velvet mount and rolls are definitely next on the list. I just took a look at a tutorial.

its 3a Thursday cHaD

Man looking at the tag on IG this trend is really not catching on :joy:

5 Likes

I’m not touching them till next week. I’ve been way too freaking busy. Should return to normal next week

6 Likes

Wait, so there’s Copycat Wednesday, 3A Thursday, and Fixed Axle Friday…What else do we have?

2 Likes

Taco Tuesday.

4 Likes

Well, if the goal is to maximize alliteration, then I think it should be:

Miscellaneous Monday, 2A Tuesday, 1A Wednesday, 3A Thursday, 4A/5A Friday.

4 Likes

Unless you are naturally ambidextrous, colateral motor skills are mastered almost entirely through muscle memory. It is purely through repetition that the neural pathways will become the thick bundles they need to be in order for those actions to feel natural and be executable at speed without cognitive interference.

IOW, the less you “think” about what you’re doing and the more you do it by feel, the quicker you’ll reach mastery. Ultimately I feel this is true for all yoyoing styles, not just 3A, but I do think that the two-handed styles double-down on this because you are asking both hands to simultaneously execute complex actions that are completely foreign to the motor cortex.

3 Likes