3A tricks, videos, and discussion

Hello! So I’ve seen that there is no 3A discussion thread, (besides one from 8 years ago) and I think 3A is a really cool style. I have been wanting to get into this style but I’m not sure which yo-yos I should buy. So that’s my question. I’m thinking a few, but feel free to give suggestions. Also please plastic lol.

7 Likes

I forget their usernames but I’m pretty sure there’s only one or two other active members on this forum that do 3a. There’s no 3a thread cuz not enough people do it :wink:

As for recommendations, I would strongly recommend Variants or Replay Pros. I would steer away from the First Base and PLSTC for 3a. Also didn’t like the Skyva for 3a either. Wedges and Antidotes are ok too but I would say the Variant or Replay Pro are the top choices.

Also. CONCAVE BEARING! Anything concave or grooved. I would even veer away from CTs. String centering makes a world of a difference for 3a

If you have any questions about learning once you have a pair I’d love to help

6 Likes

i’d like to get into 3a too. where should i start>

3 Likes

Well looks like I’m buying replays because variants ain’t n stock at yyt and they just restocked replays and they have new colors lol.

2 Likes

Get a pair and check out yotricks 3a YouTube tutorials. Blue line mount, velvet mount, kink mount, and imo to a lesser degree, assisted front mount are the foundation of most 3a tricks so I would start by learning the mounts and then the basic tricks that utilize those mounts.

There’s corocoro and 3a trapeze too but those are more advanced so I would hold off on those

3 Likes

will do, thank you!

1 Like

Getting a little used to doing front throw, breakaway, and binds with your non dominant hand first might be helpful too. Doesn’t take too much though.

Some people get a little too caught up with that. You don’t have to be completely comfortable with your weaker hand to start with 3a. I’m still not.

3 Likes

3a is the only style I having touched. Maybe it’s time.

2 Likes

I wish I could say that I am into 3A but I’m not. Literally the most frustrating style. :joy: We need Hajime Miura’s help. Lol!

1 Like

Yes this is a style for the ambidextrous.

2 Likes

Honestly follow #3ayoyo on Instagram. That’s where I learn most of my tricks and 3a isn’t anything super complicated so you don’t really need step by step tutorials. For the gold standard for 3a it’s pretty much anything Turning Point but there are lots of great options like Duncan Barricudas. Try and stick with anything that is slimmer like 42-43mm in width and has a large diameter with lots of rim weight. Also make sure your string only goes up to your hip anything longer and it makes tricks more difficult. People might say you need a centering bearing but it’s not really needed. I actually have flats in my 3a pairs so they bind better.

Also for $120 total you can get a pair of Turning Point Entangles from YYE which are some of the best 3a Yoyos I’ve thrown.

2 Likes

@yoyojoe ! That’s the guy. I think we’re the only 2 forum members that play haha

2 Likes

Looks like a creation of a thread has gotten people wanting to try it lol.

1 Like

Ah yes short string is also crucial. My string goes to about mid pocket length.

#3ayoyo is good for ideas once you get all the fundamentals down solid. Personally I usually prefer to watch freestyles on YT then slow down the tricks I’m interested in to .25x speed to learn.

1 Like

The interest always dies quickly after they realize how frustrating it is :wink:

2 Likes

I did that with 4A because I was a failure at first but then one day I decided to actually try and it just clicked. I’m hoping it’s that way with 3A (no rhyme intended lol). Ima go practice with my left hand.

1 Like

wtf? i can barely yoyo with my leftie lol. my arm literally hurts from it.

Giving it a go with a pair of freehands.

3 Likes

Ok I’m practicing leftie and failing, I can’t even do brain scrambler lol. Do you have to do it different? Idk wut I’m doing wrong lol. Ima try to breakaway and see if I die or not.

2 Likes

I ordered 2 replay pros today so I’m stoked! Also bought a wooden legend with it for free shipping.

3 Likes