3A tricks, videos, and discussion

I finally need to start 3a, don’t I? I should have held on to my abduction…

4 Likes

Use your diffractions, you probably have plenty of them lol.

2 Likes

Did you get any progress @Mystik?

As for me, I can do trapeze on left handed now, and trapeze bind which is nice.

2 Likes

For inspiration, this guy had never thrown 3a before but I taught him this pretty quickly :joy: Getting the basic mounts is not that hard at least

4 Likes

His right hand looks like it’s about to spin out lol.

2 Likes

I’ve was working on just throwing and binding with both hands yesterday(mostly for the nondom’s sake). Today I’ll try to mount😎.

As I throw 5a, I don’t anticipate too much trouble with nondom thrown mounts. It’s just the binds that’ll get me.( in theory at least)

2 Likes

My replays are coming today! How’s it going @Mystik

2 Likes

Havnt tried mounting both yet. But I’m cleaning up binds on my nondom. Progress is slow but I am persistent😎

3 Likes

So this is very strange, but whenever I do my right handed throw with both my yo-yos on my hands, it throws crooked but my left doesn’t. Then when I only have one yoyo on my hand, my throws become straight again. So with this problem, I have not really been able to successfully do stuff like blue line and velvet mount.

Are you throwing both at the same time or one at a time?

One at a time, but I think I got it fixed. I believe it was just because the string on the yo-yo wasn’t in the center of the bearing.

I’m excited! I can do 1.5 kink mount now! 3a is really cool. But my forward right handed throw isn’t very straight, so I’m having trouble with blue line and assisted front mount and whatnot.

2 Likes

I noticed when I started, fixing a crooked throw wasn’t that hard because I could just focus on one yo-yo

The hard part was keeping them very parallel with each other which was kinda surprising since I thought since I was so comfortable with 1a, controlling the line at which I throw it would be easy but guess not lol

3 Likes

Well, started 3a today with some Antidotes. I’ve always thought of myself as pretty ambidextrous so why not put it to the test? :joy:

I like the challenge, and my detangling ability has already improved lol

2 Likes

Haha, ya it’s pretty fun. Although it’s extremely challenging and I hate replay pros… I know 1.5 kink and that’s about it. My front style stuff is bad because my throws don’t align.

2 Likes

I tend to not keep my hands in line very well doing front style and man did it show! Also, dismounting in general is proving to be trickier than anticipated.

2 Likes

So 3a rules. Yesterday I landed a few big dippers and was able to get pretty consistent with plastic whips and gunslingers. I still feel a bit sketchy overall but it’s sooo fun and rewarding when you finally nail something and get both yoyos back to the hands.

2 Likes

Ya, it’s definitely awesome when you land a 3a trick. I still can’t throw parallel though, so that brings some problems.

1 Like

Since I play 3A a lot I’d figure I’d give some recommendations on picking a good pair to start on.

The qualities you are looking for in a 3A yoyo are different than your usual 1A yoyo, Stability is a lot more important because you have to control the plane of two yoyos at once and keep them paralleled at all times and you don’t want to go too wide since wide yoyos will clash easier during double trapeze and roll type tricks. Aim for 42-44,5mm wide throws on the heavier side. Slower yoyos are usually better since speed is not as important as in 1Aand they have greater stability and spin time.

Replay pro hits all those criterias as a plastic and they are durable if you want to get a good pair to start on, but I do think it’s worth it to get a metal pair if you really want to get into it.

For mid range priced metal pairs, the best options available right now would be the new Boost Afterburner by YYF and Entangle by TP, Both of those models are design by/for amazing 3A players. You could also try to find an abduction pair second hand.

Bi-metals shine the most for 3A play, the stability SS rings give you are a lot more beneficial here than for 1A play. If you want to go all in then some of the best models spec wise currently on the market are my new model Mjolnir(looks like we need to restock soon :P) , Promotion by 2sickyoyos, Anomaly by YYR, Astrea by C3yoyodesign or any TP yoyo meant for 3A.

You are also using a lot shorter strings so thicker strings is a must, It makes getting tigher binds a lot easier since there is less string to work with. The Kitty XL is my go to.

2 Likes

Just to add to this thread, here is my current bluelines combo :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes