Smh my dad gave away a box of my old yo-yos

I moved out earlier this year and my dad cleared out the attic. Among the lost were a first run bonfire and a first run yeti. If you or a loved one have ever lost your yo-yos because of careless dads please feel free to talk about it here on the wonderful inter web.

6 Likes

Ooooooh, I think I cringed a little. That is just… I’m sorry man

3 Likes

A few days ago I sent my Hungarian dad (who lives in Georgia) a link to the vid of the winner of the Hungarian nationals. I also sent him a photo of the yoyos I am currently using and told him about modern yoyos, binding, etc. and how yoyoing really takes a lot of work and dedication and boosts my self-confidence. “I didn’t know you were still fooling with those things” was his reply. Though he did say he was amazed at the skills in the video.

3 Likes

Oof, well at least he was able to appreciate the video

4 Likes

I’m afraid this is nothing new. Parents have thrown away millions, and I do mean millions, of dollars of things that are now collectibles. In some cases, this is partly why those items are worth so much money today. I find it baffling how people who learned to be so fiscally conservative during the Great Depression could turn around and literally trash their children’s baseball card collection or in my dad’s case, vintage army toy guns away, but in those days, no one really thought about the potential value of those toys or the power of nostalgia over their children when they got older. Today, those old toys are worth hundreds, thousands, and in the case of some of the baseball card collections I know of that were thrown away, hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I understand your pain, but if your dad truly just gave them away, maybe you can find a little solace in the idea that at least someone else is still enjoying them instead of them mouldering away in a landfill somewhere. For all those whose parents have carelessly thrown away their kids’ treasures: The problem is that no one can know everything that is or will be of value, and it’s generally not healthy to get too attached to possessions. Some families become divided over these things, and it’s just not worth that. You can get another Yeti and another Bonfire, or replace anything your parents threw or gave away. You can’t get another mom or dad.

6 Likes

Are you sure I can’t get another dad

4 Likes

craigslist is a wonderful place my man

2 Likes

About 3 years ago I came across my son’s Atari 2600 and about 50 game cartridges. Put it on craigslist for $40 and had about 40 responses. Sold it to the first guy to show up. I commented that I had a lot of responses and asked if it was priced too low. His response was it was worth significantly more.

5 Likes

I had a few Duncan Butterflys in the mid-70s and wish I saved them. I never knew how to properly work them. Now I look at those old Butterflys online and get nostalgic.

2 Likes

Yeah, video games are another thing that has done some weird things in the market. It used to be that you couldn’t give away anything older than a Nintendo 64. During that time I got a complete Sega Genesis with games for about $15. Now a bunch of people are nostalgic for them so that all old gaming systems have a much more significant value. It’s impossible to know for sure what controls these swings in the market, but I think maybe for the videogames, the introduction of software that allows people to play emulators of those old systems has sparked nostalgia and the interest in having the original systems. In the case of your Atari 2600, the games are very common; it’s the system that is tougher to find intact, but if you took that system to a vintage game shop, I’m not sure if they would give you much more than $40 for the system anyway. They’d probably offer a bit more since you have so many games with it, but my understanding is that unless you have one of those unicorn rare games, Atari games are pretty cheap still. The systems I’ve seen in my local game shops were maybe around $65 to $80 for a system with a game or two included.

4 Likes

If that would have happened to me for sure I would try to buy new Yoyos and keep them safe in a locker which is protected.i think you should also keep them.