Getting rid of old yoyos

So recently I was motivated to start throwing again (haven’t really since like 2010) and I have a decent size collection of my older yoyos. I’ve been playing around with some of them, and there’s just a lot of ones that I don’t really like anymore (and just some really cheap stuff haha).

How do you all pare down old collections? Does anyone just like, throw yoyos away? Would Goodwill even know what to do with yoyos?

2 Likes

Step 1: I give you my address
Step 2: You send whatever you don’t want to me

Just kidding (mostly :sweat_smile:). If I were you, I’d post em up for sale on the BST (the cheap stuff is often bundled together as a lot or used as deal sweeteners for the good stuff). If you need help with pricing, you can hit up the appraisal thread, PM me or anyone else who hangs out here a bunch, or just post a good quality pic of what you have here and people can chime in and help you out.

Let’s see what you got! It’s okay if you don’t remember the names, most of us are pretty good at identifying, so a good photo will do.

7 Likes

Yo, definitely get an appraisal first…you’d probably be surprised at what some of these older monometal yoys are worth to collectors!

You can make a post or find the appraisal thread thats already going here on the forums.

Of course, just like Spence…I could also PM you my address and I’ll sort em for you :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think most of my actually valuable ones got sold the last time I decided to sell off, though looking back on that now I wish I had kept some of those for sure! The ones I have left now are the rejects from that sale (along with some I kept because I had like them a lot at one point). I’ll see if I can get a good picture of everything though.

3 Likes

If you’re married, then leave them all out on a table. Mysteriously in couple days they will disappear without a trace. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I think a repurpose thread would be interesting add to the forum. Create a statue, epoxy into a coffee table, give to neighbor kids, doorstops, permanent wall display, …

or just as others have said sell 'em.

3 Likes

Trade it for newer stuff :grin:

2 Likes

Alrighty, first off, now that I’ve taken pictures, it’s a lot of really old plastics (and a lot of Freehands haha)

These are some of my favorites, I think (still haven’t played all of them though to really see, and plus the pads are just dead on some of them and I don’t have any of the thick pads anymore (just a pack of “standard” 19mm response which wasn’t very standard back in the day haha)). The Born Crucial Cream I remember because I think I got that special from Paul Yath (or maybe that was the Heavy Cream which I totally regret getting rid of because it was gorgeous), and unfortunately it has like a small nick in the bearing seat so it just eats strings :frowning:

I do remember I used to have so many Nano Blasters (still have two, and this black one has sriracha sauce stains).

9 Likes

Yeeeeah, my wife is in a constant state of rolling her eyes ever since I started talking yoyos again haha

3 Likes

Nah don’t give that stuff away! You’ve got some really good throws. If you would be down to trade that Speed Freak please let me know!

3 Likes

I feel this in my soul.

2 Likes

im interested in the DNA, northstar, and boss if you decide to sell

1 Like

DNA… full sentence

1 Like

PM’d about the freehands, fhz, and maybe a few others, if you decide to sell.

Also btw with the crucial cream, depending on where the nick is you should be able to sand it down very lightly with a fine grit sandpaper to take the edge off and it should help to not eat strings as much.

1 Like

Hang on to them for now and give them away to anyone who shows interest in yo-yoing. Eventually you will get rid of them and maybe start others’ journey with throwing.

4 Likes

Ummm, YES. Put those on the BST.

2 Likes

You’ve got a freehand mini, nice. I’ve got a couple myself!

1 Like

i’ve kinda wanted one of those but didnt know if they actually played well or if it was just a novelty of the time.

2 Likes

They work. I’ll leave it at that. Def no mighty flea.

1 Like