Small gap/snagginess

I just can’t practice with my YYF K-edge, the gap is just to narrow and I’m using kitty fat and it constantly snag if the string is used and tension is not adjusted so i have to change stings every 2 days as kitty strings wears out pretty quickly, I know you will suggest kitty normal but I can’t get my hands on them at the moment and it’s frustrating not gonna lie. Why would anyone get a yoyo with a small gap I want to know the pros of it .

2 Likes

Yoyoexpert has the gap width at 4.61. Which is very wide. Surprised you’re having this issue.

1 Like

Quick update, now i can’t screw my yoyo back hahaha, it’s in a constant loop of screwing. Well time to get a new one, any suggestion for a budget bimetal with good performance ?

Yes i know, well my yoyo is broken right now i can’t even screw it back it’s just used to death haha

You probably screwed it too tight. Id try a new axle before throwing it away completely

Ur totally right but here is the thing, i don’t have a spare axle, running out of strings and pads, so if im gonna spend bucks anyways on shipping i would get a new yoyo that’s more logical don’t you think ?
I was thinking of Topyo Dominator or cheapskate, if you have any suggestion of any yoyo in the 70$ range ( 80$ my limit )even if its monometal please suggest it.

Usually it’s the threading in the body rather than the axle. I’ve actually “fixed” this by supergluing the axle into the stripped half before.

2 Likes

How are your pads looking? Are they protruding at all? Or maybe the bearing isn’t 100% clean? There’s a lot that can cause a yoyo to snag/surprise you other than just a thinner gap.

Also, was it snagging only on backspin mounts, or on other mounts, too?

1 Like

Any sort of mounts, as soon as it double wraps and im using YYF white pads which are slippery anyways, but the yoyo was screwed while i was typing the forum which is pretty funny haha, so i’m buying a new yoyo anyways. If u have a good suggestion for ( 50 to 70 $ range ) stable yoyo but not boring if u pick it up often pls feel free !

If you are buying a new one anyway, I cannot stop suggesting the Barracuda X. It is amazing at 1a and 5a (it says 3a as well, but I don’t do that style very often). It is smooth, spins forever, grinds like a beast, and is all around enjoyable.

I hope you can fix that throw of yours. Food for thought, if you did strip the threads on the inside of the throw, you can re-tap them with a drill or a coil set, this wont cost you more than 10 bucks or so.

2 Likes

Thank man ! But I think I’m getting a good life mantra, I’m not that excited for bimetals design I’m a casual thrower anyways.

1 Like

You are welcome!

1 Like

Hey friend check this out! I bought an Arctic Circle with 4.05mm gap which is pretty dang slim!
I had this exact issue. I think the benefit might be it makes you more accurate or something but lets put a pin in that.

I hated the yoyo due to snagginess.

I then bought Sochi (stop buying kitty) normal which helps but the BIGGEST help was changing to a more flush response. Taking out the standard snow tires or whatever came with the AC1 and replacing with Landing Pads brand pads that are thinner than clyw makes it almost too unresponsive. Binds can be hard which is how I prefer it. Now I can do my hardest trick which involves 4 layers of string in the gap at once during one instance of the trick with no problem.

I love the AC1 now as its undersized. fits the hand perfectly and is just as stable as my Chief which blows my mind due to the diameter. now has great response and isn’t snaggy too :smiley:

good luck!

1 Like

I just saw this. but clyw has fg kodiaks that are dead smooth with an inner ss ring so it doesn’t have that bimetal aesthetic and its floaty and super stable and fun to catch as well. 10/10 recommend for $60ish. throw a fg yeti in there for $5 and get an extra pixel bearing ($10 value) and snow tires ($3? value) so you really get a great package that way.

2 Likes

Kodiac isn’t available in YYE store, and it’s 135 $
For an inner ring design, i can’t see anything beat the raytracer ( 7068 ) with its price.

Do you have to buy from YYE? Is it due to your location?
Not hating or trying to promote other sales as this is the best forum site. but for your specific situation the fg kodiak on CLYW would be the best value buy IMO. I’ve bought 3 and all were dead smooth. The one I have now has one pink ano dot on the silver side and I think that’s why its fg idk I really can’t tell you why they’re fg bc they are sooooo good

Where should i buy this then?