"Response" in Unresponsive Yoyos

Idk where this goes, so I’m putting it in general discussion…

Anyways…
Do any of you guys ever have the problem of a yoyo “snagging” and slapping your knuckles in the middle of a combo? This seems to happen when I attempt a speed combo or move the string in a way so it goes against the spin of the bearing. Cleaning the bearing didn’t really work, and I’m starting to believe my string may be too thick (fat kitty). Any ideas?

Lots of factors could make this happen. Response pad are to far extruded. Your yoyo’s Gap could be narrow. Your string could be too thick as you mentioned. Which yoyo are you using?

Just as Bob said, there are many factors that cause this such as the ones he mentioned.

Aside from these, experience is a huge factor. A beginner or intermediate player is still developing accuracy and smoothness as well as getting a feel for how far to slide and swing a yoyo with multiple wraps around the bearing throughout tricks. With more experience snags are far less common. But also check your bearing, response and string setup.

Kitty fat is great string, but unless you are an accurate and smooth player you will be liable to get more snags on yoyos with gaps less than 4.5mm.

1 Like

I have to agree, unfortunately (or fortunately) it was your skill and experience. Someone like Ed would be able to bust out some of the most complex tricks on a narrow fixie, it was down to practice.
The “trick” is to maintain the tension on certain portion of the string to keep it from rolling in that leads to snags. My advice is to learn the tricks on a responsive yoyo, just take one of your plastic and lube the bearing. Also don’t throw too hard, use less power and play on lower rpm to prevent hard snags and teach you how to utilize spin time.

To extend what Rizki said get a good feel of the weight of your yoyo and it’s friction points in certain parts of tricks. As he said, slower rpms will help you get a feel for this without hard hitting snags.