What is the best bearing to reduce snag and still centers the string?

i’m experiencing some snagging and i’ve tried using thinner string, it helps a bit but still snags, i noticed that my old northstar didn’t snag at all because i used a flat bearing, i put the flat bearing in my pragma and it didn’t snag, however due to the bearing not being centered it makes the yoyo turn, i was thinking about beefcake, would a beefcake from 2 slim bearings allow the string to slide to the sides or would it centers the string strongly?

2 Likes

More than bearings I will take a look at the pads, usually snagging is caused by the pads and the string thickness, about bearing all the ones in the shops are fine.

If your yoyo snag a lot you already did one step reducing the thickness of the string, an advice I can give you is to use the Permatex grey, I use it in all my yoyos and finally them do not snag anymore in busy string conditions and also going against the rotation of the yoyo.

I would say to give it a go and see what happen, sadly I tried thousand different pads and no one of them was of my liking in terms of response, always too snaggy, silicone solved it!

2 Likes

my pads are used up, sometime it slips when i’m doing a bind, and as i said, flat bearing fixed this, but i want a centering bearing, i considered pixel, ds, and beefcake, for me spending more than a few cents for a pad is too expensive

1 Like

I do love DS bearings, yes they cost a bit but they worth it, another good set of bearings are the concave from Atmos, very reliable and smooth.

Still not sure if one of those bearings can fix your issues, I would also consider maybe a yoyo with a larger gap

1 Like

i’m not gonna use this problem as an excuse to buy more yoyo, i’ll consider some shims

Center track have a good balance of less snags and also keep the string away from the response. The only ds bearing I tried was a yyr platinum coated one and it was way way too tight. I’ve avoided them since then but maybe the atmos version or a non coated version would be better. Haven’t really felt the need to try anymore bc I’m happy with CTs but I trust Albertino.

2 Likes