Can string thickness affect response?

I have a few throws that no matter how many times I clean or change the pads seems responsive at times.

If I give it a hard throw and a tug - I can see the string start to wrap around the axle.

Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes it does. If there is enough friction between string and pad, it will cause a problem in playing if gap width is not wide enough. But it depend on how thick a string is, like I have no issue with Sochi or Kitty XL for many type of play. If I go thicker than that then it’s might be a problem for me.

1 Like

Yea I’m just using kitty fat which is why I’m surprised. But I guess it could be enough

1 Like

the problem you have when tugging the yoyo and having it slightly grip sounds like a bearing issue that most often than not can only be fixed by replacing the bearing however on the rare occasion your bearing is very dirty or old then yes a cleaning could fix that. every yoyo likes a different width of string some are more grippy and require a thinner string to avoid snags and some are not very grippy and require a bit thicker string to get a good bind. if kitty fat is too grippy for you then try kitty normal or maybe slim. credit to yoyofriends philip he always recommends the type of string to use when he reviews a yoyo.

2 Likes

sometimes even new bearings can go bad i’ve had it happen to me many times and it results in a slightly grippy or even responsive yoyo when u tug on it. 90% of the time cleaning or lubing does not help in this case (assuming its unresponsive)

Yea I think you may be right. Just a bummer to get bum bearings and have to replace immediately

Try a new bearing. I have a few like this where they should be dead unresponsive, after a very deep clean, more than once and still snaggy. Swapped in a fresh bearing and problem solved. Some bearings are just junkers sadly.

1 Like

I’m thinking that’s what it is. Cleaned them real well, light lube and still the same issue. Just annoying to have to swap out bearings in two of my throws. Idk how long they are supposed to last but I would assume 6 Months is within that time

Unresponsive yoyos have gaps WAY wider than the string, so unless your string tension is CRAZY tight, or youre throwing with a rope, it shouldnt have the effect youre talking about. Kitty Fat isnt a very thick string.

String wrapping into the bearing on a tug means the outer race is not spinning freely, and friction is causing it to spin along with the inner race. Have you tried another bearing?

It is possible your response pads are sticking out, are they actually flush?

It seems more like the bearing need a big clean, I use fat strings as well but I have no issue with that (the problem it comes if you start to wrap a lot of string around the bearing).

About cleaning, I had the same issue as you, clean really well with lighter fluid and was responsive after an hour of throwing, if you want it dead sleep do not use the lube, I discovered the trick of spray the bearing with compressed air, the bearing goes really fast and dry properly, after that never had an issue again (I was destroying bearing like a madman, discovered it was my fault not cleaning them properly), lot of people show that you just need to use your thumb and spin the bearing on a stick or something but the compressed air and high spin do the trick, lot of people here do that and they haven’t had an issue with bearing, everyone that said that was right!

1 Like

Yea after this thread I’m positive it’s that. I’m just surprised to see I have two bad bearings come in lately. Seems like a high failure rate