Unresponsive yo-yo randomly responding

I’ve been having this problem recently with a couple of my yo-yos where the string will randomly catch and come back up. I don’t think it’s the strings because it still happens when I put a brand new one up. My only thought could be the response pads but they look normal and I would think that it would catch less if they went bad. Has anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it? Thanks!

When I started out I used to put too much lube in the bearing which can make it responsive. Sometimes a new bearing needs to break in. I’ve a few yoyos that would come up with a tug when they were brand new. The problem went away. Super thick string could also create a problem, I think. Welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

The weird thing is, these aren’t new yo-yos, and I haven’t lubed or replaced the bearings, this is all of a sudden. As far as I know the string isn’t necessarily thick, I think it’s like a medium thickness. Would a small amount of lube help this? I haven’t actually lubed the bearing since I got the yo-yo.

Adding lube will make it more responsive.
I’d recommend trying removing the bearing and it’s shields and soaking in something like lighter fluid or 100% acetone to clean them.

Sometimes if a yoyo is not screwed together perfectly there will be a very tiny gap on one side next to the bearing and the string can catch there. Or you can try cleaning the bearing.

1 Like