String change

Hello to all,
I’m an ultra beginner, only a few weeks I’m yo-yoing to relax so sorry if my question is stupid (plus I don’t speak English well).
I just changed the string on my VD888 and since then, it reacts like a non responsive yoyo (at least I think because it doesn’t go up anymore).
The change seemed simple, but do you know if I did something wrong? Can I rectify this?
Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Add oil to the bearing and it will become responsive.
(You may have to run this through a translator)

1 Like

As a Ultra Beginner, not all strings are the same.

Strings are made out of different materials and are made at different thicknesses.
If your new string is thinner than the last string, you could experience the issue you are describing. Maybe look into getting a Medium Thickness String for future replacements. Strings are consumable items, change as often as you need to.

As jhb8426 mentioned, try adding oil to the side of the bearing. You will be looking for a thicker oil to use.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice, I will order this as soon as possible.
It’s surprising that to make my yoyo responsive again, I have to put oil… I would have thought that the string would have to hang more.

2 Likes

Here is my order: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01IF9E468?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Those string will work. Look for “Yoyo Thick Lube”.

1 Like

Some lube will specify “thick” or “thin”. For responsive you want “thick”.

Having both isn’t a bad idea.

3 Likes

Thank you, I just placed an order for a thick lubricant, for yoyo responsive.
I just have to wait and see if everything improves.

2 Likes

Hi! Welcome to the forums. I know that you’re a beginner but a lot of players actually prefer non-responsive yoyos. That being said if you do want it responsive definitely listen to everyone else and get some thick bearing lube for your yo.

If you find yourself wanting to get it back to unresponsive, remove the bearing and immerse it in either lighter fluid or acetone and spinning it out a few times to dissolve the lubricant. And of course if you find yourself still not ready for unresponsive play just lube the crap out of the bearing again. Hope we’ve helped!

Thanks for the welcome!
I’m a methodical person so I’m going to try to follow the normal yoyo learning curve by first going through a non-accountable model, then in a few weeks, if I still have all my teeth, I’ll probably switch to a non-responsive model. I’ve already seen one or two models that I think would do the trick.
From what I’ve read, all the players are getting a much better game with these latest yoyos.
I’ve even seen a way to make it go up from zero that might save me some time, and limit the twist as well…

A lot of work ahead ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No questions are stupid. I had so many questions when I started a few months ago and I still find new questions everyday. Like they said it sounds like you need some thick lube. Just be careful you don’t put too much on. I use the tiniest dab, like a small drop on a toothpick. If you feel like you want it more responsive add more lightly until you get it where you like it. Putting too much on can make it too responsive and you’ll have to clean the bearing to get it out. Strings do also make some difference in response but I’d bet it’s probably your bearing needs lubed.

1 Like

Ok, it’s very clear! Thank you!
Now I just have to learn how to dose this famous lube.
It looks so simple when you watch videos, and after that there is the reality.

3 Likes

This is so true on so many levels!

1 Like

Hello to all,
just a few words for a feedback: you were all right! A few drops of this special oil for unresponsive yoyo was enough to change it completely. It works very well and it has become perfectly silent. Congratulations to all of you!
While browsing the forum, the videos, I also ordered a non responsive yoyo to anticipate my learning a bit, I will do both. I don’t think I picked up a competition model, but something that felt honest to start with…

1 Like

I started back in November. I am a fan of having different styles of Yoyo.

I start off playing Unresponsive. Practice Binding and a couple Front style tricks. When I start to get frustrated of rewinding the yoyo all the time, I put it down.

I then play with a Responsive Yoyo for a while. Practicing the tricks I have learned, and trying new tricks.

Then “if” I get frustrated with that, I put that down and throw a fixed axel yoyo. It may just be Up and Down, Forward Passes, or Breakaways… But it is therapeutic and a great way for me to end my throwing session.

Have Fun

1 Like